Electoral Register?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
16 posts Page 1 of 2

kahlan

Post by kahlan » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:13 am
Hi ALL

I am just over half way into my IVA and a friend hat has run into some bad luck has asked me favour..

They want to use my address for correspondance etc.

I own my flat, would having someone use my address effect my IVA in any way?

Please advise!

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:22 am
No, it should not have any bearing on your IVA.

He/She doesn't need to be on the electoral roll though just to have post sent to you.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

plasticdaft

Forum Expert

Post by plasticdaft » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:24 am
Wont affect your IVA in any way. Could have other implications for you but you know your friend better than anyone else.

Paul
Discharged today the 8th feb 2012. View is much brighter now.
Continuing to rebuild our credit worthiness.

kahlan

Post by kahlan » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:45 am
Hi Thanks for your comments, they have asked to go on the registor, I was just worried that the IVA would think that they are living with me, therefore would ask for more money?

plasticdaft

Forum Expert

Post by plasticdaft » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:52 am
Why do they need to go on the electoral register just to have mail delivered to your address?

Shining

Post by Shining » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:55 am
My son left home when I first entered my IVA about a month in and his mail is still delivered here, it's called I'm lazy and it's easier to collect it once a week syndrome for him! x
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

Broke of London

Post by Broke of London » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:56 am
A quick chat with your ip will clarify the position but as far as I'm aware they don't check the electoral register. They would have struggled with me as I only got round to putting my name down for the last election.

kahlan

Post by kahlan » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:56 am
I think they want to increase their credit rating and apply for credit... not too sure on all the deatils as yet...

FormerlyST1100

Post by FormerlyST1100 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:03 am
Be careful Kahlan with this.
You may wish to help your friend but do some checks first.

At one time, not sure if it is still the case, information from the electoral register was used by the Council Tax to make sure you are giving the correct information if you are claiming the reduction for a single person household.

kahlan

Post by kahlan » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:06 am
do you know where I could check this out?

plasticdaft

Forum Expert

Post by plasticdaft » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:08 am
kahlan wrote:

I think they want to increase their credit rating and apply for credit... not too sure on all the deatils as yet...
I would be very careful with this,given that your credit rating will start to improve in 15 months once your IVA is finished. I assume they have a poor credit rating just now? If so allowing them to use your address where you have an IVA isnt going to boost their rating wihtout starting to file notices of disassociation and even then many creditors can ignore these as they see fit.

Paul

kahlan

Post by kahlan » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:39 am
i think they just want to be able to obtain some kind of credit history and just wanted to confirm that it wouldn;t effect my IVA payments in any way.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:54 am
Good point about the council tax - if you pay the lesser rate for living on your own and someone else is shown as living there then you will be liable to pay the full amount.

If your friend is having troubles moneywise, would they not be better off sorting that out rather than trying to take on more credit?
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

angelrainbow

Post by angelrainbow » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:41 pm
I have worked in local government before - although it is possible to cross reference the electoral roll in formation with the council tax information it isn't standard procedure. Indeed, our council had a caveat on the council tax docs stating that informing the electoral roll of a change was not informing them and you would be liable for any repayments to council tax etc if the council tax office were not informed separately.
Completion Certificate received September 2012.

kahlan

Post by kahlan » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:14 pm
thanks again for all your comments, i've checked online and I am paying full council tax (no discount). So as long as this will not effect my IVA I think it'll be possible??
16 posts Page 1 of 2
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”