Equity Release and Shared Ownership

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
4 posts Page 1 of 1
cbdawg
by cbdawg » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:27 pm
Evening Everyone

Does anyone know how equity release works with shared ownership? I'm most confused. I own 40%, the housing association own 60% the calculation methods I've researched dont method any potential of shared ownership and I'd like to know what to expect.

I want to be prepared, I have a few years left but its nice to know how this is going to affect me.

Any help is much appreciated.
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:45 pm
This should have been investigated and discussed with your IP before going into the IVA. Many shared ownerships will prohibit you getting a remortgage or secured loan so a 12 month extension would be, in that case, the only option.
Should your H.A agree to allow a remortgage, if, indeed, one was available, this would be based on working out the equity for the whole property and then dividing it, allocating 40% to you as your share.
cbdawg
by cbdawg » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:00 pm
Foggy wrote:
This should have been investigated and discussed with your IP before going into the IVA. Many shared ownerships will prohibit you getting a remortgage or secured loan so a 12 month extension would be, in that case, the only option.
Should your H.A agree to allow a remortgage, if, indeed, one was available, this would be based on working out the equity for the whole property and then dividing it, allocating 40% to you as your share.

Thanks for your reply, it was and I accepted that the 12 month extension would probably be what would happen. I just wanted to clear up how they actually calculate if its a clear divide then that makes it easier to work out.
Lisa Thomas
Industry Expert
Contact
by Lisa Thomas » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:43 am
If you're already in an IVA have a look at the calculation used in your original proposal documents.
4 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”