Estate Agents

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
14 posts Page 1 of 1

Lou74

Post by Lou74 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:45 pm
Hi,
I've just called the local estate agent to come and do the valuation on our house next week. It was awful!! I hate lying, and just said we were considering our options. I love our house and (as long as everything goes well) want to stay here for a very long time. It just felt awful having to pretend we were thinking of selling. She said she will be here for about an hour, measuring up I suppose. I hope the neighbours don't see, as we live in a quiet little cul de sac. Just wondered everyone elses experience. Are they normally ok about giving a written valuation? Are they likely to get annoyed if they cotton on to the fact that we don't really want to sell? Sorry for the daft questions, I've got my worry pants on today!
Thanks
x

Hammie1

Post by Hammie1 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:07 pm
Hi Lou74

I know exactly what you mean. We had our house valued last Friday, got the valuation really quickly in the post on Monday. Like you told a whole load of lies to get them round, felt terrible and even ended up in tears. I got a huge amount of support form posters on here who reassured me that baiscally you've just got to do a little white lie to get passed this stage.

The estate agents are due to call tomorrow to see if we want to continue to put the house on the market - funny!!!. My husband is going to take the call and say that our circumstances have now changed and we won't be selling. At least we got the valutation FOC, which has been sent to our IP, thankfully in our favour as the house is now worth less than the mortgage, so won't be added into the IVA.

Good luck

Sam :) x
F&F accepted 12/8/13 - Awaiting Completion Certificate :-)
Thanks to everyone for your support. Could'nt have done it without you.

Sensible77

Post by Sensible77 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:17 pm
I sympathise with both posters. Why should you have to lie whilst in an IVA? All the lies, deceit and guilt of my pre-IVA life are well behind me and I don’t intend to go there again. My IVA company, Payplan, paid for the house valuation when I was entering the IVA so I will expect them to pay for it when I need to attempt to remortgage, unless they are going to take the valuation fee out of my monthly payment.

Shining

Post by Shining » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:35 pm
I got local estate agents in to value my property when it was needed and told them I was thinking of relocating. They want the business they came and valued it and followed it up in writing without being asked to. I didn't feel guilty at all. I think one day I will sell though as I really don't like living here anymore but do love the house, if only it was simply a matter of moving the house to another area. x
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

Sensible77

Post by Sensible77 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:37 pm
lesley - did they charge you for the valuation?

Shining

Post by Shining » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:38 pm
No none of them charged me and I had 3 valuations. They varied immensely I remember that if one of them was correct I wasn't insolvent but I knew I was x
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

Lou74

Post by Lou74 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:45 pm
Thanks all for your replies, I guess its just another "process" that we all have to go through. I will try and think of it as just that. My valuation is free, quite a big company where I live. So I'm hoping they will provide the written quote with no trouble, otherwise it will be all that stress for nothing! Seems like you all got yours without too much trouble. I'm just hoping they don't turn up in a car with thier logo written all over it!

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:55 am
A suitable valuation on a drive by basis can be obtained for around £70, and I offer this to my clients if they really struggle to get a local agent. It might be worth asking your own IP if this is possible, and whether you can deduct the cost of this from your first IVA payment.
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

Lou74

Post by Lou74 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:23 pm
Thanks for that Melanie. I'm actually with you, so if it doesn't work out next week, I'll certainly give you a call!

kazza24

Post by kazza24 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:33 pm
Have just had valuation and Payplan suggested that they would sort it and add it to my costs x

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:40 pm
I'm with Payplan and they arranged for my initial valuation and will be doing the same for the second one.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Skyeball1999

Post by Skyeball1999 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:55 pm
I am sure the Estate Agent has told the odd white lie in order to get a sale :-). You just did what was necessary.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:47 pm
Mine didn't, and agreed with the drive by valuation done by the mortgage company.

Nothing to be gained by an estate agent lying about a valuation.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:31 am
Lou - if this genuinely is a problem for you, I am very happy to get the valuation done for you. Let me know if I can help.
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner
14 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”