finding it difficult to apply for basic bank account

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
11 posts Page 1 of 1

alison.sn

Post by alison.sn » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:21 pm
I am finding it difficult to apply for a basic bank account as the leaflets/application forms state that if you are currently in an IVA they can't help. Is this true?

deb.ml

Post by deb.ml » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:26 pm
I have a Natwest Step account. Basic with no overdraft or cheque book but I've been with them for a year and great service. You get a Visa debit card with it and do all your direct debits etc. I know when I started IVA the Step account accepted people in IVA's.
Hope this helps.
IVA started Sept 09. Glad to be on the way to being debt free

liverpig

Post by liverpig » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:27 pm
http://www.securetrustbank.com/
Others on here have also said the Co Op will 'entertain' you :D

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:33 pm
I'd recommend the Co-op Cashminder account as it's a free account and will accept people who are BR or in IVAs.

You can apply for it on the phone or in a branch and you get a Visa debit card and internet banking.

Shining

Post by Shining » Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:51 am
Lots of our posters like Skippy recommend the Co-op Cashminder account. I'm with the Natwest and that is also a good account. x
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

alison.sn

Post by alison.sn » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:39 am
Many thanks for your replies. I have got an application form for the Natwest Step account and also the Nationwide Cash card account but both of which state that if you are in an IVA then you can't apply???!!!.

Unfortunately, the nearest Co-op branch is 30 miles away [:(]

I am concerned as all the wages and bills are paid from my partner's account which I thought was a good solution when I went into my IVA as no bank wanted to entertain me then anyway! but now it seems less than ideal especially in case anything should happen to him before my IVA finishes.

Do you know if the Co-op insist on having your salary paid into the Cashminder account?

Post by 666 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:33 am
you dont need your wages paying into the co-op account. The only circumstance that would result in co-op cashminder/natwest step not accepting you was if you were an undischarged bankrupt or fraudster according to the http://www.moneymadeclear.org.uk/pdfs/bank_accounts.pdf website.
If they refuse you then you can actually complain to the FSA for breaking the banking code ;)
Distance to the branch shouldn't really be a problem as you can pay in to the account via the local post office or do it all online. I went into branch before my iva unless I needed to do a large cash withdrawal .. and the days of that happening are well and truly over !!!

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:24 am
The other thing is if you are not on the voters list. They will refuse you then.

I think the Co-op will accept undischarged bankrupts for the Cashminder account.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

dw1983

Post by dw1983 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:25 am
I also have a natwest step account very good account and easy to apply online and comes with visa debit card
Iva completed

Pugwash

Post by Pugwash » Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:27 pm
Try the Co-operative Bank, That went well for me. It has a Visa Debit card as well and easy on-line banking and looks very secure.

plasticdaft

Forum Expert

Post by plasticdaft » Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:43 pm
You dont have to live anywhere near the co- op,my nearest branch is 35 miles away and I have never been near it!!!

Paul
Discharged today the 8th feb 2012. View is much brighter now.
Continuing to rebuild our credit worthiness.
11 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”