First year of IVA - positive story for anyone who needs it

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
11 posts Page 1 of 1

nicola715

Post by nicola715 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:34 pm
Just wanted to post a positive story.

We got our IVA approved in July. Had the normal somewhat euphoric reaction. Then realised that we had to live properly within in our means without the cushion of credit cards. This was so hard because altho (i like to think) my husband and I arent stupid the mentality of 'just stick it on the barclaycard' was bloody hard to break.

I realised we bought way more that we needed and massively spoiled our kids. This Christmas we didnt buy half the crap for them we normally do. They didnt notice. Didnt care at all! (They 5 and 2). I also didn't do the christmas eve fb post of 'santa has arrived'. Realised we massively suffered with 'keeping up with the jones'.

Now we have just had the 2nd month in which we have finished with our bank account not at 0 and also managed to buy a wardrobe. All without credit!! So to anyone struggling, hang in there. Changing your spending habits is not easy but im living proof that eventually you get there.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:47 pm
Excellent news!!
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

nicola715

Post by nicola715 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:50 pm
Thanks! Definitely hasnt been easy but then anything worth while very rarely is. I just know that when u Google all u get is horror stories - im living proof its not all bad!

Foggy

Forum Expert

Post by Foggy » Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:51 pm
Yes -- the lenders thrive on us being 'trained' to look at credit card spending as, somehow, not spending 'real' money !

Great to see that you are settling into the IVA life ... I must admit that I found it quite liberating in a way.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014
http://foggy.blogs.iva.co.uk

nicola715

Post by nicola715 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:55 pm
Im with you on liberating. Its really made us wise up. At the risk of sounding cliche u really dont need all the bells and whistles. Theres a real satisfaction of being able to buy a sandwich in work without thinking 'oh god can i afford this'. Simple things!

luluj

Forum Expert

Post by luluj » Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:18 pm
Well done - you can look at that wardrobe and be proud ... budgeting for things gives far greater sense of achievement.

There is a solution for everyone .... Just need to stay positive !

Look at my blog "All I wanted was a baby"

nicola715

Post by nicola715 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:26 pm
I honestly do! Its not the best wardrobe by any means but its mine, means a lot!

abbiesmum2003

Post by abbiesmum2003 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:36 pm
You are gonna be just fine! I can tell from the chamge of attitude to spendinfg youve got in the tone of your post.
You are amazing and it soon becomes habit and the mentality to spending/saving etc soon becomes instilled.
You will know what comes out and when. You will have such a solid understanding of your finances! New habits will form and the children will learn to appreciate the little things.
We have 3 children (the youngest was only 3 months old when we entered IVA) Theyre now 16, 11 and 7 and understand money better than I ever did as a child. It is totally possible!
We completed ours 18 months ago (did the full 60 payments and equity release) We have completely retrained our financial health!

Keep at it! Youre doing fab! Thank you for your post. Hope it helps newbies xxx

nicola715

Post by nicola715 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:48 pm
Thats amazing uve completed! I cant wait for that day 😊

I dont doubt there will be other strugges ahead but i feel like we can do it now. It really is hard but so so worth it x

Jessie91

Post by Jessie91 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:12 am
This is so amazing to read and makes you feel this is really worth it at the end and you can do this you can live within a budget and cope. I haven’t reached a year yet in my iva but it’s definitely been a eye opener for me with joe silly my spending was also over spending on my daughter for things she didn’t even need and now I’m just getting used to budgeting sometimes I find it a tad difficult but I’m getting there. So lovely to read positive posts like yours so thank you for posting.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:41 am
I was really glad to get rid of the letters and phone calls.
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk
11 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”