Full and Final settlement

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
8 posts Page 1 of 1
ilx_smithy123
Posts: 5
by ilx_smithy123 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:55 am
Hello, I’m currently in an IVA and have done for 2 years now. I was £13,000 in debt and paid off £6800 already, I had some money available and also my dads going to help me pay off the remaining debt as a full and final settlement which I already put forward. I offered £5000 to clear my IVA, but before I asked to put a full and final settlement in, I contacted one creditor and Made an offer to clear there debt with them as I was gunna terminate the IVA and do everything myself but realised that my Iva wasn’t paying money to the other creditor, I’m guessing until the IVA was complete. “They accepted the offer which is good but now bad as I’ve Put in a F/F settlement. Can it now affect me getting accepted for my offer, hope you can help, Thanks
User avatar
Foggy
Forum Expert
Posts: 27314
Contact
by Foggy » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:16 am
You should not have made the offer but, more importantly, they should not have accepted !!! This could be grounds to flush the whole arrangement down the toilet. What happens now depends on what this creditor decides to do when informed of the F&F offer.

I would stick to the story that, as soon as you realised that the offer should not have been made, you withdrew it, and had no intention of proceeding. Hopefully, though, the F&F will run it's course and get accepted.
ilx_smithy123
Posts: 5
by ilx_smithy123 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:47 am
Foggy wrote:
You should not have made the offer but, more importantly, they should not have accepted !!! This could be grounds to flush the whole arrangement down the toilet. What happens now depends on what this creditor decides to do when informed of the F&F offer.

I would stick to the story that, as soon as you realised that the offer should not have been made, you withdrew it, and had no intention of proceeding. Hopefully, though, the F&F will run it's course and get accepted.


It was before I made the F/F and they contacted me saying they accepted the offer and I told them the IVA company is going to be in touch in regards to a F/F settlement so I’m hoping to get away with it.
User avatar
Shaun Vickery
Industry Expert
Posts: 740
Contact
by Shaun Vickery » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:57 am
The problem with this, at least as I understand it and as you probably now know, is that in an IVA all creditors should get an equal share of what is repaid, whereas one creditor could have been 'preferred'.

The fact that no money has changed hands should hopefully mean that there are no repercussions.
ilx_smithy123
Posts: 5
by ilx_smithy123 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:17 am
Shaun Vickery wrote:
The problem with this, at least as I understand it and as you probably now know, is that in an IVA all creditors should get an equal share of what is repaid, whereas one creditor could have been 'preferred'.

The fact that no money has changed hands should hopefully mean that there are no repercussions.



Great, I was trying to find the quickest way of getting out of the IVA so I made the error but realised and now hope that it doesn’t affect my F/F. How long does it normally take for the creditors meeting, I handed all the documents in 2 days ago.
User avatar
kallis3
Forum Expert
Posts: 73726
Contact
by kallis3 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:30 am
Up to 28 days for a meeting to be called if I remember correctly.
User avatar
Lisa Thomas
Industry Expert
Posts: 7046
Contact
by Lisa Thomas » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:59 am
See if you can withdraw the offer.
User avatar
Lisa Thomas
Industry Expert
Posts: 7046
Contact
by Lisa Thomas » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:00 am
*the direct settlement offer, not the F&F offer.
8 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 25 guests