Gambling prior to IVA application

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
7 posts Page 1 of 1
angelina
by angelina » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:46 am
I have recently started the ball rolling with regards to a IVA I have the creditors meeting in 10 days
I have disclosed to the company that I have a gambling problem and that In May I had been in rehab and was also still receiving treatment
Since leaving rehab I haven't gambled but In August I did go mad trying to win the lottery and spent 700 pound on the national lottery site
The creditors have asked for 3 months bank statements which will show this transaction to the lottery
I can prove that since leaving rehab my gambling as massively improved and the national lottery was never a site where I would gamble
The problem I have was I didn't disclose I had spent this 700 pound because I completely forgot untill I seen the transactions on the bank statement
I just insure as to what I should do? I am worried sick now
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:06 am
You need to have a chat with your IP as he will be the one who will be explaining things to creditors. It might be that you will need to postpone the IVA for a few months until you can show that you are clear of gambling ... National Lottery IS gambling and £700 flushed away shows that there is still a problem.

You have to know, for your own peace of mind, as much as anything else, that you have this problem under control before entering an IVA. You do not want to find yourself, a few years down the line, failing the arrangement due to another splurge and wasting all that time, effort and money in the process.
Lisa Thomas
Industry Expert
Contact
by Lisa Thomas » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:52 am
I expect it's the IP asking to see the statements, not the creditors.

This will be uncovered so you need to be honest about it. I suspect you will need to delay the IVA and wait until you have got over your addiction before attempting it.
angelina
by angelina » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:15 am
They said it's barclay card who have requested it the company never asked for bank statements from either of us
So if we postpone it what do we do in the mean time regarding the creditiors ?
It was a joint IVA with my husband :(
kallis3
Forum Expert
Contact
by kallis3 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:30 am
It will be interlocking - not joint and you do need to speak to your prospective IP as you still have a gambling problem which needs to be sorted.
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:16 am
angelina wrote:
They said it's barclay card who have requested it the company never asked for bank statements from either of us
So if we postpone it what do we do in the mean time regarding the creditiors ?
It was a joint IVA with my husband :(

Depending on the full set of circumstances you could go into a DMP for a few months to get a gambling clear record. You really need to talk this over with your IP.
Lisa Thomas
Industry Expert
Contact
by Lisa Thomas » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:36 am
I agree with Foggy - speak to your IP about your options but DMP whilst you get the gambling sorted might be the best plan.
7 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”