Harassment by telephone

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
27 posts Page 1 of 2

Imhotep

Post by Imhotep » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:30 pm
Just when I thought it was going smoothly...

The other day I got five recorded messages from the Co-Op requesting immediate payment for this months credit card bill.

I had another two this morning.

This is the same company who I have sent three letters to explaining our circumstances, had two long telephone conversations with and received a letter outlining what they think they should be receiving as token payments.

Now Barclaycard have started.

I got a telephone call this morning, someone asked if it was me. I said yes and they hung hp.

I thought 'brace yourself'.

Sure enough I got another telephone call demanding immediate payment to avoid late payment fees. I asked how this could be as I haven't even received this month's bill yet. Not interested. I explained our situation, explained we were seeking advice from CCCS, explained we had sent an I&E document. Not interested. Well, token payment of 10.00 was not enough. They could set me up with a reduced rate if I paid immediately. No, I have to treat all creditors equally. Then it was the token payment they were after over the phone. It was like they weren't bothered what they got as long as they got something.

I said I would be paying my token payment as and when I receive this months bill.

What on Earth are they trying to do? I Googled the telephone number and the web is littered with shocking stories of people being threatening, abusive and just rude.
Last edited by Imhotep on Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scaredykat

Post by scaredykat » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:02 pm
OMG thats terrible !!! as if we dont feel bad enough about the situation we are in ! i had a phone call 2 days ago and they were ok, just took the details. I am dreading barclaycard phoning me...even more so now !! We will just have to try and be strong (thats funny coming from me !) and at least we can support each other on this brillian forum ! Good luck, and i hope your phone soon stops ringing !!!! x
Have you thought about changing your number ??

Imhotep

Post by Imhotep » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:06 pm
My wife doesn't want to change the number :(

Easy for her to say, the one telephone call she has had to deal with was from someone in AA Personal Finance and they were really nice, telling her "not to worry".

Think I'll let her deal with a few more :)

missy80

Post by missy80 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:13 pm
My record was 5 in 90 minutes from Egg (also my smallest creditor!) Take turns in answering the phone and tell them the same stuff over and over. I promise they do tail off. Stay strong!

scaredykat

Post by scaredykat » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:48 pm
Well thats funny (well not really !) just had capital one on the phone !!! How many ways are there of saying sorry, i cant and will not be making a payment ?? because i think i have just tried them all !!! And...they have the letter i sent them stating whats happening, and who to contact but she told me they would still be phoning me :o( !!

Shining

Post by Shining » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:13 pm
Unfortunately, the calls are often persistant and can be intimidating, I answered every one had a script and wouldn't deviate from this, I never had cause to put the phone down on them for rudeness but I would have done if they had made me feel uncomfortable in any way.
I feel for you all i really do but think each day now is bringing you closer to your meeting date x
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

Goosed

Post by Goosed » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:39 pm
I work nights, so had the phone on silent and never answered the calls. I quite often woke to a plethora of automated messages from Barclaycard and Co-op and voice messages from Halifax demanding I contact them. I did return the calls once to explain what I had already done so in writing (That I`m proposing an IVA, I won`t be answering any calls or making any payments, speak to my IP for updated info, etc,etc), there seemed to be a lull in attempted contact, but the same creditors just started leaving messages again...I never bothered phoning back after that.
Some creditors are obviously very aggressive at pursuing debtors, no matter what you owe them.
Just sit tight and stay focused...All will be fine in the near future.
"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea".

Eric Cantona

Pandy

Post by Pandy » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:16 pm
I had problems with Barclaycard as well although they only rang once, but it was quite intimidating. Keep strong and if you feel uncomfortable state that you are putting the phone down as they are harassing you. Then (to nick someone elses advertising slogan) just do it. :-)
If life is what you make it, I must have been in a strange mood when I made mine

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:55 pm
Barclaycard are very persistant.

I'm afraid we did get a new number via BT Broadband talk and it was brilliant not to have to worry about the phone ringing.

I set my mobile ringtone to the same as my text tone so that I could just ignore it and people at work wouldn't have a clue what was going on.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Imhotep

Post by Imhotep » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:37 pm
Well, the Co-Op have the record at the moment. I've had seven phone calls off them today!

I'll be sending a letter about their harassment on Monday.

ashb

Post by ashb » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:40 pm
I dont uderstand why so many here have so many problems with callers. Here is what I did.

Informed all creditors that I was doing a IVA and gave them reference number and informed them I would not answer any calls.

Got a new mobile number and gave only to familly and friends.

Got a answer machine but didnt really bother with even playing back messages.

Answered all mail contact and sent response back asap by registered mail.

I have never been bothered by any bad calls, threats or visits.

As soon as you respond by phone they will continue to call you and the more you act this way the worse it gets

Sorry if this sounds too easy but thats what I did and what worked.

herbekj

Post by herbekj » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:14 pm
I just turned the ringer off, told me mother problem with phone and just text me on mobile for a call.

If I ever answered a call, refuse to answer any questions until they identify themseleves, that'll get rid of 90% of them.

And then just put the phone down on the others.

But then I just never answered cos I turned the ringer off :-)

Over time they get the hint.
Last Payment - November 2011 - Completion Certificate received 2 weeks after last payment, Removed from Insolvency Register within 4 weeks after last payment.

Gettingthere

Post by Gettingthere » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:43 pm
I know it is stressful just waiting for the phone to ring, but believe it or not they do get the message, the worst time is waiting for the creditors meeting and in my case, around 2 or so weeks after having my proposal accepted, MBNA, Nationwide and Santander were terrible (to be fair Nationwide who I spoke to, were really nice and understanding, spoke to a nice lady who was just trying to get information on the progress, they had been phoning the home phone numerous times, I was at work all day, housebound Mam and Sister were at home all day being as stressed as me, I asked her to remove the home number and use my mobile number if they needed to contact me, this was done straight away and never heard another thing from them)
Santander and MBNA were a pain in the B*m both with phonecalls and letters but they do have a poor rep.
Best advice, be strong and do not let anyone bully you, you will find most will be understanding of your situation, probably some will be in a similar boat with credit cards etc..

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:52 pm
I have to disagree there ashb.

I never spoke to Barclaycard or Mercers and it didn't stop them from hounding me on the phone.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

ashb

Post by ashb » Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:08 am
Kallis3

I dont know what you disagree with-its pretty simple

DONT ANSWER PHONE=NO HORRIBLE CALLS OR PEOPLE !!!

Simples !!!
27 posts Page 1 of 2
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”