Help Needed- emptying old bank account

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
26 posts Page 1 of 2

lola422

Post by lola422 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:36 am
Morning Everyone,

Would someone please be able to help me? I get paid shortly into my old bank account that will hopefully become part of my IVA. I am only in early stages, i.e getting paperwork together. I will need to get the money out, without them becoming suspicious and clawing back their overdraft. I can draw so much on my debit card from an ATM, but would I be better off just going in there tomorrow and drawing it out over the counter? I need the money for this month's bills etc so can't afford for them to keep the overdraft money. I know this sounds deceitful but they are one of my creditors, and will be part of my IVA should I be accepted. Any advice would be much appreciated.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:52 am
It's not deceitful - you need to pay your bills.

I would withdraw it and pay it across to your new account. I assume you have opened one.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

scaredykat

Post by scaredykat » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:59 am
Hi lola422

I was in the same position a few weeks ago but I opened my new account and had my wages paid into that straight away, I just left the overdraft as it was oops ! Many moons ago, when my ex hubby did the dirty on me I went into the bank and completely emptied it overdraft and all !!! they did look a bit concerned but said nothing. How soon do you get paid ? I changed my details in less than 2 weeks before i got paid x

lola422

Post by lola422 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:50 pm
Unfortunately, I get paid tomorrow and although I have arranged a new bank account I haven't had the details through yet, so couldn't arrange for my wages to go straight into that. I was going to withdraw it from the atm over the next couple of days, but what with the bank holiday I will probably be restricted to how much I can get out. My brother said just go in and take it out and if they query it just say it's for a car deposit. T

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:56 pm
Do that. You need the money for your bills, so just withdraw the lot.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

lola422

Post by lola422 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:08 pm
Thanks for your advice guys. It really helps to share things on here. I really do need the money to pay all my other bills/mortgage etc and without the overdraft money I won't be able to do that. The overdraft is included in my IVA and as much as I'd like to pay it back now, it will leave me nothing to pay all other bills, and will need to get it out before I send my bank their letter to advise I'm entering into the IVA

plasticdaft

Forum Expert

Post by plasticdaft » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:49 pm
We ended up not being able to go into our £700 overdraft with TSB due to bad timing of organising things,it was due to be added to our trust deed but Lloydstsb wouldnt let us go into the overdraft!!!

Boo hiss!!

Paul
Discharged today the 8th feb 2012. View is much brighter now.
Continuing to rebuild our credit worthiness.

Adam Davies

Post by Adam Davies » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:52 pm
Hi
I would go into the branch with ID and take your wages out, as others have said there is nothing wrong with doing this
Regards
Andam Davies

lola422

Post by lola422 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:12 pm
Thanks again guys. I'm going to go straight down tomorrow and take it all out. I know I will be a gibbering wreck though as know some of the money is theirs, and like all of us, have tried to pay back my debts, but wouldn't be looking to do an IVA if I wasn't really struggling. Thanks to you all for your advice. Will let you know if they let me take the overdraft too.

MRBLUESKY

Post by MRBLUESKY » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:09 pm
lola pre iva i had a £500 overdraft and was going to try and repay it out of my wages.my case officer said dont bother it will be included in your iva.your wages are yours to legally draw out.

Shining

Post by Shining » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:22 pm
I totally agree with the others, it's your money and hopefully your salary next month will be paid into your new account.

All the best with your IVA application.
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

liverpig

Post by liverpig » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:47 pm
Pre IVA I was also advised to draw every last penny from my account, I did feel guilty about this as I had never missed a payment to any of my creditors, my weight, health and sanity had suffered massively over the final 4-5 months though. Once I had the money and a new account to put it in plus the support and reassurance of my IVA company behind me I felt peaceful, like a great burden had been taken from me. Take YOUR money out the account and start to take control of your life rather than allowing your debts to rule what you do [:)] After nearly 8 months in the IVA I feel like a new life has been made possible to me, without debt. I am happier, sane and actually enjoy saving the odd pound and pennies here and there for treats.
Oh yea, having this forum and being able to understand and come to terms with the fact that I am not the only one who has been stupid with credit in the past helps, really, really helps. [:o)]

MRBLUESKY

Post by MRBLUESKY » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:30 pm
well said liver pig great post.

plasticdaft

Forum Expert

Post by plasticdaft » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:25 pm
Did you get the money Lola??
Discharged today the 8th feb 2012. View is much brighter now.
Continuing to rebuild our credit worthiness.

lola422

Post by lola422 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:37 pm
Thanks for all the advice guys. Yes I did get the money out. I went into the branch itself and withdrew over the counter. I did feel a bit guilty, although relieved, but I really wouldn't be able to pay all my bills without it. Then got my new bank account details Sat morn so have managed to deposit it all in there. So, things feel like they are already progressing.
26 posts Page 1 of 2
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”