Help needed regarding marital status!!!

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
4 posts Page 1 of 1
Loobylou17
by Loobylou17 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:07 pm
I have recently (December) left a very abusive, violent marriage and taken my children and living with my sister. I am technically still married. If I enter an IVA, do I have to include his income etc? I haven’t spoken with him since leaving and am scared of doing but I need to sort my finances out for mine and my children’s sake so we can get back on our feet.

Any advice would be greatly received.

Thanks.
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:28 pm
If he is no longer in the picture then his finances are of no concern. Do you have any joint debts ? If so, your responsibility towards the debt will be negated by an IVA and the full debt will fall to him to pay.

Is the marital home owned or was it rented ?

You will need to disclose your income and expenditure as it is now.
Loobylou17
by Loobylou17 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:39 pm
Foggy wrote:
If he is no longer in the picture then his finances are of no concern. Do you have any joint debts ? If so, your responsibility towards the debt will be negated by an IVA and the full debt will fall to him to pay.

Is the marital home owned or was it rented ?

You will need to disclose your income and expenditure as it is now.

Hi Foggy

The marital home is in his name, we have no joint debts or accounts. I am completely financially separate from him. I was thinking that it might be expected that he contributes towards the children.
I earn a decent amount of money and can get by on my own with the children but my disposable income is a lot lower now.

Thanks
luluj
Forum Expert
Contact
by luluj » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:55 am
So sorry to hear of your distressing break up.

Due to the circumstances I would suggest you take some professional advice to ensure he pays maintenance towards the children.
Whether you can afford to get by or not, he has responsibility to provide for his children.
The Child Maintenance Group via Gov.uk will be able to support you in doing this.
4 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”