Help!

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
7 posts Page 1 of 1

spurs

Post by spurs » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:40 pm
Hi, yesterday I had my chat with my IP of which we agreed a total of what I could pay back each month on a IVA after confirming all of my debts to her. About a month ago my boiler went wrong and I have been told I need a new one which will be about £800-£1000, obviously I don't have that sort of money! What I am asking is can I buy a new one on my credit card before my IVA goes through? I don't want to be seen as taking the mick but the evenings are getting colder and I have the immersion heater on all the time! Im just not sure what to do, any help would be much appreciated.

plasticdaft

Forum Expert

Post by plasticdaft » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:52 pm
If you have confirmed your debts to your IP,did you mention the boiler then??

Its not like you are going to take £1000 out of your card and go on holiday as that would be reckless but to repair a boiler would be sensible,but you probably should discuss this with your IP 1st.

Paul
Discharged today the 8th feb 2012. View is much brighter now.
Continuing to rebuild our credit worthiness.

spurs

Post by spurs » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:55 pm
Hi Paul, I did say to her about it and she told me she was unable to advise me on the matter.

Shining

Post by Shining » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:49 pm
Did you speak to your IP Paul or a representative of the company? A boiler is important and needs to be working safely and efficiently, I've had a lot of trouble with mine and my IP was always sympathetic to my needs. x
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:15 am
Once you know that you are insolvent then you should not use anymore credit. It won't sit well with the creditors.

Your chosen representative should be able to help you with this. It might be that you delay the start of payments to an IVA so you can get this sorted.

Which company are you using?
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Tina Shortland

Post by Tina Shortland » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:26 am
I would agree with Jan - you must not be using any more forms of credit as you are seeking to get help from creditors as you can't afford to repay them.

Of course you must not be left without heating and this is a priority, it sounds like using your disposable income now to get a boiler sorted is the only option. This is perfectely raesonable and the IVA can start once you have sorted this expense. Equally, depending on what your disposable income is and how flexible the boiler company are, you may be able to pay for the new one in a number of installments which will start your IVA off on a lower monhly payment but which will increase once the boiler is paid off.

Speak to your IP and boiler company to find out your options.

Regards,
Regards, Tina Shortland, Debt Advisory Manager for Melanie Giles at Debt Advice TV.

If you’re looking for effective debt related information, articles and news, then go now to our on-line advice service at www.debtadvicetv.com

If you’re ready to ask us for specific advice or help, then get in touch at www.call-me.debtadvicetv.com so you can start to free yourself from the stress and anxiety of overwhelming debt.

Adam Davies

Post by Adam Davies » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:17 am
Hi
Well the boiler is a priority but it would be wrong to use credit to fund this knowing that the provider will not get the full amount back.
I would think delaying your IVA payments until you have paid for the boiler would be the sensible way forward
Regards
Andam Davies
7 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”