Hi Everyone, would an IVA be right for me?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
21 posts Page 1 of 2

James85

Post by James85 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:31 pm
Good evening all,

I am hoping for some advice to see whether an IVA is right for me or not.

I have debts of nearly £20k, owing money to 5 different lenders. I do not own a house and I am living with my parents. I was comfortably paying off the monthly payments on time up until just over a year ago when I was made redundant. I found another job pretty quickly but it pays a lot less than my previous job (£780 after deductions). As a result as soon as my savings were used up I started struggling paying the monthly payments and on many an occasion I've had returned direct debits, and bank charges as a result. I sold my car to get me through a few more months, whilst living in hope that a better paid job was around the corner. I have had help from my parents to keep getting the payments paid, but I can't keep going on like I am.

Debt: £**k
Income(after tax): £***
Expenses(not including debt repayments): £****

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Please let me know if I have left anything out.

Thanks

James
Last edited by James85 on Fri May 06, 2011 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:59 am
Hi James and welcome to the forum

I would be concerned about the level of disposable income you could offer to creditors - which you are currently showing at £330 but this does seem very high compared to your outgoings. Are you sure that you have provided for everything you spend in the £450?

A chat with an insolvency practitioner could help you work out an affordable budget - and an IVA could well be a sensible option for you to pursue.
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

size5

Industry Expert

Post by size5 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:49 am
Absolutely. It is the hidden things that most of us don't give much thought to that can help tip the balance one way or the other, for example dentist or medical costs, contingency allowance.

Take time, therefore, to visit www.iva.com have a look around, read reviews etc. Speak to 2 or 3 reputable companies, who will be happy to provide you with no nonsense, no obligation advice, and then make your own informed decision from there.

Regards.
Cert DR
23+ years in debt advice
I do not post for anyone other than myself

Follow my tweets at http://twitter.com/debtmastersize5

Tina Shortland

Post by Tina Shortland » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:02 am
Hi James, welcome to the forum.

Sorry to read about the struggles - you're right, it can't carry on like this, especially if you are having to use your parents money to help pay the creditors each month (what supportive parents you have!).

The first thing any of us will do when you call is helpyou work out a realistic budget taking everything into account - this is to make sure you are not overcommitting yourself - otherwise you will end up at square 1 again.

We'll talk through your situation and the options available and then help you make the right decision for you.

Regards,
Regards, Tina Shortland, Debt Advisory Manager for Melanie Giles at Debt Advice TV.

If you’re looking for effective debt related information, articles and news, then go now to our on-line advice service at www.debtadvicetv.com

If you’re ready to ask us for specific advice or help, then get in touch at www.call-me.debtadvicetv.com so you can start to free yourself from the stress and anxiety of overwhelming debt.

James85

Post by James85 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:29 pm
Hello again, firstly thank you everyone for your time and help.

I was being extremely sensible with my outgoings. I was trying to cut out on the things I buy that maybe I could do without or find a cheaper alternative. As a result I guess I have cut corners on things that maybe I shouldn't have. The dentist and medical costs didn't even cross my mind, although they are very small, but I'm sure it all adds up.

I will go back to my spreadsheet and look through my bank statements and have a re-think, and then get the ball rolling. Like you say, it's not in anyone's interest for me not to be able to make payments.

Thanks again.

James

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:11 am
A chat with an insolvency practitioner would definitely help here as they can help you assess some of the allowances you may need moving forward.
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

Shining

Post by Shining » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:08 am
James why not take a look at www.iva.com for a list of companies and some reviews and always talk to 2 or 3 companies, they can go through your I&E with you and give you professional advice.
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

Tina Shortland

Post by Tina Shortland » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:36 pm
James I can send you the current list of allowance guidelines if that would help you work on your budget first.
Regards, Tina Shortland, Debt Advisory Manager for Melanie Giles at Debt Advice TV.

If you’re looking for effective debt related information, articles and news, then go now to our on-line advice service at www.debtadvicetv.com

If you’re ready to ask us for specific advice or help, then get in touch at www.call-me.debtadvicetv.com so you can start to free yourself from the stress and anxiety of overwhelming debt.

James85

Post by James85 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:10 pm
Yes Tina, that would be great.

iva.com doesn't seem to be working, is this the case for anyone else?

missy80

Post by missy80 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:17 pm
Hi James

Just wanted to say welcome, call 2 or 3 companies from iva.com (it seems to be working for me, maybe it was just a temporary blip) and you'll feel loads better when you've done that, I bet.

I know what it's like to be supported by your parents and living at home and there are other people on here in the same situation so if you ever want to vent - feel free. It can be very stressful, especially if you don't want them to know about it.

Good luck

Tina Shortland

Post by Tina Shortland » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:54 pm
Hi James, if you click on the link below and send me a contact through Melanie's contact form I can email you the budget guidelines.

Regards,

Nicola.sa

Post by Nicola.sa » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:11 pm
Tina, could you also email me the budget guidelines? It is actually for a family member and I can't recall all the amounts.

Tina Shortland

Post by Tina Shortland » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:54 pm
Will do.

James85

Post by James85 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:56 pm
Tina, contact form has been sent, Thanks.

Missy80, thanks for your support, it's good to hear the others have been in the same position. iva.com worked for me as soon as I had finished posting the last message!!

James85

Post by James85 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:56 pm
Well, I finally decided to go through with the IVA a few months ago, but it was rejected today. I was really hoping it would be the best Christmas present possible, hearing that it had been accepted. I don't really understand where I go from here, I guess this means the phone calls and letters start again..?
21 posts Page 1 of 2
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”