Hi I’m currently unemployed and worried about bailiffs coming

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
9 posts Page 1 of 1
preia
by preia » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:43 am
Hi I’m currently unemployed and I have a credit card which is just building up Intrest I haven’t got a bank account I use my partners and he is the only source of income we have as I’m currently not allowed to sign on for 6 weeks can you help me please I’m worried about baylifs coming
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:51 am
Have a word at your local CAB -- if you rent your home and qualify for the other criteria a Debt Relief Order might be one way -- or a Debt Managment Program. The solution depends on your whole set of circumstances.
kallis3
Forum Expert
Contact
by kallis3 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:22 am
I agree with Foggy - get some advice asap. Should any debt collectors/bailiffs call, you don't have to speak to them or even answer the door and certainly don't let them into your property.
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:13 am
If you are worried about bailiffs turning up, as Kallis says, do not open the door to them --- do not leave any door or window open / unlocked as they are allowed to walk in and, once in, the game is up.
kallis3
Forum Expert
Contact
by kallis3 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:10 am
MerlinL14
by MerlinL14 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:44 pm
Foggy wrote:
If you are worried about bailiffs turning up, as Kallis says, do not open the door to them --- do not leave any door or window open / unlocked as they are allowed to walk in and, once in, the game is up.

Good advice Foggy, but debt collectors are no longer able to gain access other than through a door. County Court Bailiffs/Sheriffs are another matter though, but doubtful they would ever get involved with CC debt. A bailiff has to carry his license as well as ID, so if they say "I am a bailiff" you can request to see ID and license, if they refuse to show their license they can not exercise powers as a bailiff. If they are a debt collector and say "I am a bailiff" you can call the Police on them as they have committed a crime, false representation to recover monies.
kallis3
Forum Expert
Contact
by kallis3 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:10 pm
Please see my link above.
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:31 pm
MerlinL14 wrote:
Foggy wrote:

Good advice Foggy, but debt collectors are no longer able to gain access other than through a door. County Court Bailiffs/Sheriffs are another matter though, but doubtful they would ever get involved with CC debt. A bailiff has to carry his license as well as ID, so if they say "I am a bailiff" you can request to see ID and license, if they refuse to show their license they can not exercise powers as a bailiff. If they are a debt collector and say "I am a bailiff" you can call the Police on them as they have committed a crime, false representation to recover monies.

This is true -- but I was referring specifically to bailiff's in my reply -- a debt collector is merely anyone off the street and has no powers at all.
jonathah
by jonathah » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:35 am
You're about as far from baliffs turning up as if you lived in Antarctica and owed nothing. They don't do unsecured consumer debt unless it's a vast sum and a charging order has been made. They do council tax, repossessions evictions etc. Debt collectors don't knock on doors anymore - it simply isn't cost effective. They phone and write letters. Then they give up. Millions are written off every year because credit card companies deem the debt not worth pursuing. You might end up in the County Court, which isn't the end of the world either.

Two options really,

Contact the card company. Tell em the truth and negotiate a payment you can afford.

If you can't stomach that then get some advice. The CAB are fine but overworked and the quality of their advice can be seriously variable IMHO There are LOTS of advisers out there.

The worst thing you can do is nothing. The phone calls and letters will start and seem like they are never going to stop and its all the end of the world. Dealing with debt is in my satirical opinion. 90% psycology 10% money.

Don't panic. You'll be fine
9 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”