Hi,I'm thinking of going BR in a month or so

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
8 posts Page 1 of 1

charley_babe

Post by charley_babe » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:02 pm
Hi,

I'm thinking of going BR in a month or so (I have to get my rented living arrangements sorted, but now understand if I go BR, my new landlord might throw me out).

Sorry, back to the point.

In May this year I spent £939 of money that I had (not credit) on a macbook. I'd like to know if the OR will take it from me.

I have ME / Chronic Fatigue, and although I work full time, when I get home I go straight to bed as im so exhausted and use the laptop to watch tv, but more importantly chat to my friends and keep in touch with them - I cannot do this in real life as I'm too tired after work to get out and do things. My laptop is my only way of staying in contact with the outside world. All weekend im in bed with the laptop talking to them about how they are and they check up on me. If I was to lose it I would be so cut off.

Would the OR take this from me? Can I argue that its my only way of keeping in contact with friends / family (including those in Canada) so I need it, and I use it to do work at home occasionally?

Many thanks for your help,

Kind regards

Charlotte

Shining

Post by Shining » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:43 pm
Hi Charlotte and welcome to the forum, I'm sorry I don't know the answer to your post but will bump this up and hopefully someone will know. x
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

plasticdaft

Forum Expert

Post by plasticdaft » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:34 am
Your laptop would be safe.

Paul
Discharged today the 8th feb 2012. View is much brighter now.
Continuing to rebuild our credit worthiness.

Sinking Fast

Post by Sinking Fast » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:54 am
Charlotte,

As stated your laptop will be fine. Skippy who posts on the forum will no doubt corroborate this. The OR is more interested in any Van Goghs you have hanging over the mantle-piece.

Gd luck.

charley_babe

Post by charley_babe » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:17 am
Many thanks, I was just concerned about the value.

I'm now struggling as I wanted to go BR (and my family told me to do it) but other people are telling me to get and IVA because I will be screwed forever with a BR - no one will ever touch me. They also told me not to go with the CCCS as their limits are so tight and if i go elsewhere I will be allowed more living allowances???

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:38 pm
You won't be screwed forever with bankruptcy. It will be on your file for 6 years, the same as an IVA is. If asked in the future if you had ever been bankrupt, then you have to answer truthfully.

I suggest that you speak to one or more companies before making a final decision.

Visit www.iva.com for a list of companies and reviews. You will receive free and impartial advice.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

charley_babe

Post by charley_babe » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:20 pm
Thans guys, and Jan,
I think the problem is they are concerned about financial institutions views on br rather than the iva - that i will be 'blacklisted' and never be able to do anything with my life after.
I have talked to the CCCS and they are very much pushing me towards and IVA (the guy i spoke to said they prefer it because they like the creditor to get some money back??).
I want to go BR - if it wasnt for the housing situation (I need somewhere new to rent) I would just go for it.

Thanks again,

Charlotte x

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:56 pm
Charlotte - speak to a couple more companies before making a final decision.

You may still be paying back some money to the creditors with BR - if you have disposable income over £99 after your normal bills have been paid, then you will make payments for three years.

It is not down to CCCS to tell you what they prefer. They should give you impartial advice about all the options available and leave it up to you to make the decision.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk
8 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”