Hi, my Wife has Chronic renal failure

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
27 posts Page 1 of 2

Mark.rg

Post by Mark.rg » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:11 am
Hi, my Wife has Chronic renal failure & has been unable to work for the last 2 years & it also looks unlikely she will be able to return to work for the foreseeable future.

I am self employed but my earnings have decreased as Im spending more time at home to care for my wife.
she has a unsecured loan & various store & credit cards we are now struggling to keep up with payments.

we are considering an IVA but we really dont want to loose our home (we are Homeowners) can we do an IVA without loosing our home & be out of debt

Shining

Post by Shining » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:06 am
Hi there and welcome to the forum. I have a mortgaged home as do others within an IVA and so long as you continue to make your mortgage payments and any secured loan payments then your property should be safe. Do you have equity within the property?

I would consider talking to an IP, a list of companies and some reviews of these can be found at www.iva.com

Our professionals who post on the forum also come highly recommended and can be found via the experts link. You will get free case specific advice on all debt solutions but it is important to phone 2 or 3 to get impartial advice.

Being self-employed you will most probably need a face to face meeting with a prospective IP at some point.
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:07 am
Hi Mark and welcome to the forum. So sorry to hear about your wife's illness, but it must be a great comfort to her having you at home more to help out.

An IVA is meant to protect your property, rather than affect it, so I would arrange to have a chat with an insolvency practitioner who can discuss all options with you, and assess which onces are likely to work. There is no point in struggling on - as you must put the care for your wife as an absolute priority.
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

Declan at DebtFreeDirect

Post by Declan at DebtFreeDirect » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:22 am
Hi Mark
Welcome to the forum and I’m sorry to hear about your wife.
I echo what Lesley and Mel have said in that an IVA works to protect your home. Given your situation I would certainly speak to a few different companies to gain a feel for what will be involved in the IVA.
Thanks
Declan Murray
Debt Advisor
Debt Free Direct - the UK's largest IVA provider.
http://www.debtfreedirect.co.uk/iva/

plasticdaft

Forum Expert

Post by plasticdaft » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:31 am
Is there much equity in the property?

Paul
Discharged today the 8th feb 2012. View is much brighter now.
Continuing to rebuild our credit worthiness.

Mark.rg

Post by Mark.rg » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:57 pm
hi & thanks for your kind words & advice.

there is not much equity in the property dont know if its a good or bad thing in this case?

Tina Shortland

Post by Tina Shortland » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:03 pm
Mark - you have come to exaclty the right place to get whatever support and help you need - for both the financial worries and the upset that this must be causing you both.

As you will see if you have been reading the forum, there are some fantastic IPs on here that can help you. The first thing we would do is to just understand you can realistically afford and talk through the options to see what suits your and your wife the best.

The best thing you can do, when you are ready, is give a couple a call and talk everything through.

We're here to help.

Regards,
Regards, Tina Shortland, Debt Advisory Manager for Melanie Giles at Debt Advice TV.

If you’re looking for effective debt related information, articles and news, then go now to our on-line advice service at www.debtadvicetv.com

If you’re ready to ask us for specific advice or help, then get in touch at www.call-me.debtadvicetv.com so you can start to free yourself from the stress and anxiety of overwhelming debt.

orange

Post by orange » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:59 pm
hy how far down the road of chornic renal failure is your wife?.what about the one of the kidney associations.....or charitys will they help you deal with this debt.all the best of luck
completed july 2011

Mark.rg

Post by Mark.rg » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:17 pm
well my wife has no Kidneys at all now , both failed & 2 years ago I donated 1 of mine to her but it rejected after only 6 months.

we have had help from the Kidney associations who have been really good helping us with Travel cost & occasional break away but we don't feel we should ask for help in this matter plus I dont think its something they can help with.

The Wife took the loan & had store cards when she was in a lot better shape & able to earn money to pay them off.

orange

Post by orange » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:23 pm
sorry to hear that.i worked on a kidney unit and i saw how upsetting it was when the body rejects a donated kidney .so are you on the dialysis route yet ?
completed july 2011

Mark.rg

Post by Mark.rg » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:51 pm
yes shes on Dialysis 3 times a week 4 hours a session & if not going to plan she has been known to go in for extra 2 hour sessions to bring her back into line.

she has good & bad days regarding her health , just seems to be 1 steo forward & 2 back for the last 2 years & this is why we have found ourselves in this situation.

think it site is really good & the idea of going down the road of an IVA dont seem so daunting now ;0)

orange

Post by orange » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:09 pm
gosh.sorry to hear of the treatment not going too well,and hope that the extra sessions bring some relief for you.I was thinking that you could ask the kidney association for more help after all thats what they are there for to offer support and help..i hope you manage to get the iva sorted and wish you lots of luck
completed july 2011

Mark.rg

Post by Mark.rg » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:13 pm
cheers orange ;0)

cerberus

Post by cerberus » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:30 pm
Mark,
Sorry to hear that your wife has taken a turn for the worse and I wish you both the best for the future.
As a newbie to all this, the only advice I can offer, is to pick up the phone and speak to one of the IP's from this Forum. It was one of the hardest phone calls I've ever had to make but also one of the best. The realization that you have identified your debt problem coupled with the unjudgemntal approach of these proffessionals, will make you realise that there is a way out of your debt. It's also a great feeling to actually discuss your financial position with someone other than your wife especially if you've been trying to hid it from other family members.
I wish you the best of luck. You've come to the right forum where you'll receive all the support and advice you ask for.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:33 pm
I'm sorry to hear about your wife's poor health Mark. Cerberus is right, speak to a couple of IPs - the experts' details are in their profiles, and you can also have a look on www.iva.com.

I hope you stick around on the forum as we're not just here to support you with your financial problems, but anything else as well x
27 posts Page 1 of 2
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”