House sale setback

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
3 posts Page 1 of 1
gary880
by gary880 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:16 pm
I have a property that is currently being sold. It is unfurnished and unoccupied and has been since 11 June this year. The tenant moved out at my request as the buyer at that time wanted vacant possession. However, the sale then fell through. I did not re let the property but continued to offer it for sale and was given a 100% discount by the Local Authority for three months. In August I found another buyer who again wants vacant possession and the sales process began. Unfortunately, conveyancing is still not complete, but hopefully it will be soon. I can't let the property again - as it is unfurnished and the sale could conclude at any moment - so I am now having to pay full Council Tax. As I understand it The Changes to Council Tax benefits were introduced in 2013 to get empty homes back into use. I cannot get my property back in to use unless I pull out of the sale and re let it - which is certainly not what I want to do. I just want to get the sale finalised! My local authority refuse to allow me a further discount even though I have fully explained my situation. I believe this is grossly unfair and unjust and that the Council are not - in my case - using the changes to Council Tax benefit rules for the true purpose they were intended. Is there anything I can do??
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:23 pm
I am afraid that council tax rules and application is not the subject of this forum. Unfortunately the way different councils interpret and apply some of the legislation does vary from council to council. I would suggest a visit to your local CAB.
kallis3
Forum Expert
Contact
by kallis3 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:09 pm
Agree with Foggy - speak to CAB for advice.
3 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”