How long would I have to show I have not been gambling before IVA application ?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
11 posts Page 1 of 1
User avatar
mark172
Posts: 5
by mark172 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:31 am
Hi,

I have debts from gambling of approx £35000. What would be the minimum amount of time that I would need to show that I have not been betting before I could consider applying for an IVA ? I am attending gambling therapy counselling. My second query is that partner is worried that I would have a beneficial interest in her property and that the creditors could use her house against my IVA. My partner is just about to buy the house, the mortagage was based just on her salary and is only in her name. She has paid all of the deposit plus the stamp duty and fees. I am not going to start paying rent or contributing to the bills until at least two months time. She is however worried that by me paying rent from there on it would be seen as though I have a beneficial interest in the property.
User avatar
kallis3
Forum Expert
Posts: 72035
Contact
by kallis3 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:41 am
Hi,

You would show up as a lodger paying rent - won't affect her applying for a mortgage. I take it you have no joint finances? How long is it since you have stopped gambling?
User avatar
Foggy
Forum Expert
Posts: 24130
Contact
by Foggy » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:57 am
Different creditors and different IP's have varying views on the time to spend gambling free. It is more important, though, that you base your choice of provider on other than this. I would suggest a chat with a couple to get the ground work started. Choose the smaller firms, rather than the IVA factories for an individual approach to your circumstances.

Regarding potential beneficial interest, there are a couple of firms who try this tack -- however, they are on thin ice as these things are difficult enough to establish in matrimonial matters (where the question usually arises), so having a stab in an IVA is questionable, to say the least. In any event most mortgage lenders these days require adults in the household, who are not on the title deeds and joined in the mortgage to sign a disclaimer denying any claim to an interest.
User avatar
mark172
Posts: 5
by mark172 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:04 am
kallis3 wrote:
Hi,

You would show up as a lodger paying rent - won't affect her applying for a mortgage. I take it you have no joint finances? How long is it since you have stopped gambling?


It has only been a week. I am attending gamblers anonymous and am also seeking counselling. She already has the mortgage and has completed in last week. We have no joint finances
User avatar
mark172
Posts: 5
by mark172 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:07 am
Foggy wrote:
Different creditors and different IP's have varying views on the time to spend gambling free. It is more important, though, that you base your choice of provider on other than this. I would suggest a chat with a couple to get the ground work started. Choose the smaller firms, rather than the IVA factories for an individual approach to your circumstances.

Regarding potential beneficial interest, there are a couple of firms who try this tack -- however, they are on thin ice as these things are difficult enough to establish in matrimonial matters (where the question usually arises), so having a stab in an IVA is questionable, to say the least. In any event most mortgage lenders these days require adults in the household, who are not on the title deeds and joined in the mortgage to sign a disclaimer denying any claim to an interest.


Whilst applying for the mortgage I signed a dis claimed denying any claim to an interest. Do you think that if I then moved in and started paying half of the mortgage payment her house would still be safe ?
User avatar
Foggy
Forum Expert
Posts: 24130
Contact
by Foggy » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:24 am
mark172 wrote:
Foggy wrote:
Different creditors and different IP's have varying views on the time to spend gambling free. It is more important, though, that you base your choice of provider on other than this. I would suggest a chat with a couple to get the ground work started. Choose the smaller firms, rather than the IVA factories for an individual approach to your circumstances.

Regarding potential beneficial interest, there are a couple of firms who try this tack -- however, they are on thin ice as these things are difficult enough to establish in matrimonial matters (where the question usually arises), so having a stab in an IVA is questionable, to say the least. In any event most mortgage lenders these days require adults in the household, who are not on the title deeds and joined in the mortgage to sign a disclaimer denying any claim to an interest.


Whilst applying for the mortgage I signed a dis claimed denying any claim to an interest. Do you think that if I then moved in and started paying half of the mortgage payment her house would still be safe ?



First .. you are not paying half the mortgage .. she is paying the mortgage .. you are paying "board and lodge (rent) :-)

As long as your provider doesn't mention the house in your proposal ( as I said, one or two of the larger firms might try the beneficial interest line) it will be OK.
User avatar
kallis3
Forum Expert
Posts: 72035
Contact
by kallis3 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:06 pm
Agreed - just be a 'lodger'.
User avatar
Lisa Thomas
Industry Expert
Posts: 6027
Contact
by Lisa Thomas » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:35 am
gambling - my latest IVA gambler provided me evidence to show he had closed all gambling accounts and had clear bank statements for 3 months to show willing to creditors. Each case will be difference but I would think a week is pushing it.
User avatar
mark172
Posts: 5
by mark172 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:42 pm
Hi, Thank you for the advice. I was thinking of 3 months. How can I provide evidence that I have closed all gambling accounts? I am also going to Gamblers anonymous and am receiving free counselling provided through Gamcare.
User avatar
Foggy
Forum Expert
Posts: 24130
Contact
by Foggy » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:18 pm
mark172 wrote:
Hi, Thank you for the advice. I was thinking of 3 months. How can I provide evidence that I have closed all gambling accounts? I am also going to Gamblers anonymous and am receiving free counselling provided through Gamcare.


There is a way of getting yourself blocked from gambling sites online, which would evidence that you are not gambling online at least, I am sure GA can point you in the right direction as to how to do this.
User avatar
Lisa Thomas
Industry Expert
Posts: 6027
Contact
by Lisa Thomas » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:47 pm
11 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests