husband refusing to pay IVA

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
5 posts Page 1 of 1

Beckie.34

Post by Beckie.34 » Tue May 04, 2010 7:42 pm
Hi all, i am half way through my IVA. it was taken out by my husband and I. we have recently seperated and he is refusing to pay anything towards the IVA or his kids. any suggestions as to what my options are. I am now a single mum to four little ones and also a full time student( trying to better myself). any help would be gratefully recieved.

Tina Shortland

Post by Tina Shortland » Tue May 04, 2010 8:12 pm
Hi Beckie.34 and welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear what an awful time you are having. It is amazing you are trying to do what you can for yourself and your 4 children on your own.

It is important you speak with your IP as soon as you can to inform them what has happened and to see what can be done. Depending on your circumstances and personal disposable income availabe your IP may be able to put forward a variation proposal to reflect your new numbers. If there is now no disposable income you may have to consider bankruptcy which for some, once you know the facts is the better option.

I wish you well in getting this all sorted as soon as you can so you can focus on you and your family.

Take care,
Regards, Tina Shortland, Debt Advisory Manager for Melanie Giles at Debt Advice TV.

If you’re looking for effective debt related information, articles and news, then go now to our on-line advice service at www.debtadvicetv.com

If you’re ready to ask us for specific advice or help, then get in touch at www.call-me.debtadvicetv.com so you can start to free yourself from the stress and anxiety of overwhelming debt.

Shining

Post by Shining » Tue May 04, 2010 8:42 pm
Hi Becky and welcome to the forum from myself too. I would definitely contact your IP and explain the situation and hopefully a solution will be found to move forward.

All the best x
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Tue May 04, 2010 10:05 pm
I have one or two suggestions - some of which may not be suitable for this forum as I take a very dim view of a man who leaves his children without providing for them.

Given that you are half way through the IVA, I would ask your IP to see if it would be feasible to ask creditors to accept what you have already paid in full and final settlement. This often works for older IVAs, and to be frank you have more important fish to fry at the moment in providing for those kiddies to worry too much about your debts.

Let's hope he remembers his responsibilities at least to you and the children very soon.
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Tue May 04, 2010 10:42 pm
Well said Mel, and I couldn't agree more.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk
5 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”