i am 20k plus in debt and my hubby is unaware

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
5 posts Page 1 of 1

juejue

Post by juejue » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:11 pm
i am 20k plus in debt and my hubby is unaware, if i apply for an iva will he need to know? we have a joint repayment morgage with 5 years left to pay.

Adam Davies

Post by Adam Davies » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:20 pm
Hi
He will have to know because of your joint mortgage.
I am guessing given the short term left on your mortgage that your share of any equity is higher than your 20k of unsecured debt. If this is the case an IVA will not be suitable however a debt management plan will be and your husband need not know about this solution.
Speak with several experts/companies and explore all options
Regards
Andam Davies

plasticdaft

Forum Expert

Post by plasticdaft » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:22 pm
Whilst Andy is correct that in a debt management plan your hubby need not know,it may be very hard to keep from him,given the letters and phone calls you will get from creditors. Is he that much of an ogre you couldnt tell him?

Paul
Discharged today the 8th feb 2012. View is much brighter now.
Continuing to rebuild our credit worthiness.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:05 pm
I kept our debts from my hubby for months until the phone calls started. It caused problems for a while but we got through it.

I'm sure he would be supportive.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Shining

Post by Shining » Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:55 am
Bite the bullet and explain you're experiencing some financial problems, as others have said maybe an IVA isn't the best solution but what you could do first is speak to an IP in strict confidence by you ringing them, try www.iva.com for a list of companies and some reviews of these. Our professionals also come highly recommended and will always be able to advise you. x
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.
5 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”