I am being made redundant while in an IVA

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
7 posts Page 1 of 1
lesley610
by lesley610 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:12 pm
I am being made redundant on 28/2/18 after 18 years continuous employment. I was in a major road traffic accident a year ago which has left me with pain from a broken femur, a herniated cervical disc and a brachial plexus injury which I have been told by the spinal surgeon will not improve. I was off work for 9 months and have been back at work for 5 months predominantly working from home. I also have a company car which will go next week.
I have a couple of question that I am hoping someone can help with.
Due to my injuries I am unable to carry anything for a distance or stand for any length of time. I need a car to be able to get around. I was hoping I could get a little run around but if I have to pay any remaining monies from my redundancy into the IVA when I get a job then I will not be able to spend any of the redundancy on a cheap used car. Is this something that may be slowed under the circumstances?
Whilst I was off sick I struggled financially due to additional costs like taxis to hospital and holistic treatments. I carried on paying the IVA and did not contact them as I thought I would have to continue paying. Someone has since said that I should have informed them and had a break from payments. Is this something they may now consider after the event and reimburse the payments made whilst off sick?
I would be grateful for any advice-thank you in advance
kallis3
Forum Expert
Contact
by kallis3 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:59 pm
Have you thought about applying for a motability car at all?
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:07 pm
A payment break would have been tacked on again at the end, so it is not something that could be reimbursed. They are merely postponing a few payments, not cancelling them.
Kallis's suggestion of trying for motability is a good one and well worth pursuing. Other than that the IP might be able to bend the rules a little, using his discretion. They might say no, but you have nothing to lose by having a chat.
lesley610
by lesley610 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:45 pm
kallis3 wrote:
Have you thought about applying for a motability car at all?

Hi yes I have enquired about this at Citizens Advice Bureau to be told if I can walk 50 metres I would not qualify. This seems unfair as I am in pain, I can’t carry shopping and the exhaustion means I can’t do anything else if I do too much. Very worried about being able to get a new job never mind get to and from a place of work
lesley610
by lesley610 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:46 pm
[quote="Foggy"]A payment break would have been tacked on again at the end, so it is not something that could be reimbursed. They are merely postponing a few payments, not cancelling them.
Kallis's suggestion of trying for motability is a good one and well worth pursuing. Other than that the IP might be able to bend the rules a little, using his discretion. They might say no, but you have nothing to lose by having a chat.[/quote

Hi thank you for the advice.
kallis3
Forum Expert
Contact
by kallis3 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:44 am
It can't help to apply. We did ours online a few years ago and had no problems at all.
lesley610
by lesley610 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:41 pm
kallis3 wrote:
It can't help to apply. We did ours online a few years ago and had no problems at all.

Thank you. I will look on-line and check I have been given the correct information.
7 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”