I am due a back payment of special Guardianship Allowance for my niece

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
3 posts Page 1 of 1
cj424
by cj424 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:36 am
I am 12 months into an IVA & have been informed that I am due a back payment of special Guardianship Allowance for my niece whom I have under special Guardianship since my sister her mother was unwell & since passed away. This Allowance is for the upbringing of my niece & is classed as non taxable income .. would the IVA take this back payment that is for my niece (& for me to assist in bringing her up?) I will let them know once I have been given this Allowance & back dated amount once it’s paid but I a m concerned as to wether the Iva will demand the full amount of Allowance that is backdated which is really to help feed & clothe my niece. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:51 am
This money ( the normal, regular payment) will count as income and will be mostly offset by the expenses it is designed to cover. Regarding the back payment, you will need to disclose this and discuss with your IP what is to be done with it, but I suspect it will have to be paid into the IVA.
kallis3
Forum Expert
Contact
by kallis3 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:53 am
So sorry to hear of your loss - agree with Foggy that all must be disclosed. Hopefully they will let you keep some of the allowance.
3 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”