I had a fire in my rented home and landlords insurers requested payment

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
4 posts Page 1 of 1
sarah634
by sarah634 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:04 am
I am 2 years into a 6 year IVA. Last year I had a fire in my rented home and my landlord terminated the tenancy agreement with immediate effect and retained my deposit. It's not been proven to be my fault but it looks like I left a laundry basked on the hob which was left on low :(
Anyhow I have now received a letter from my landlords insurers requested (as it was my fault) that I pay them £39,500 which is the cost of the redecoration and restoration of the property. Obviously I don't have this money but can they take me to court for it?? I am v v worried.
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:18 pm
First, in no way admit fault -- ask them for a copy of the Fire Officer's Report confirming the actual cause of the fire (not likely or probable cause). If your landlord has taken out insufficient insurance cover that is his problem, not yours. However, I am no expert and this is beyond the remit of this forum is so far as action they can or are likely to take. I would suggest a visit to your local CAB who might be able to get you legal advice.
kallis3
Forum Expert
Contact
by kallis3 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:15 pm
I agree with Foggy - you need to seek advice and also ask for the fire report. If your landlord is not forthcoming you need to ask the fire brigade for a copy.
Michael Peoples
Industry Expert
Contact
by Michael Peoples » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:24 pm
If you had contents insurance of your own this may protect you as it normally includes public liability cover. This may be what the insurance company is hoping so pass any correspondence to your own insurer if you have one. Otherwise I agree with the others that you should not admit liability.
4 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”