I have a debt from 2014, an ambulance bill in USA

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
7 posts Page 1 of 1
laila
by laila » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:34 am
Hi guys
I have a debt from 2014, an ambulance bill in USA, originally $2099, which was sold off to Collection Agency before an American charity was very kindly going to pay. Now I've received a lower demand of $1039, offer valid till 7 September, from these Debt Collectors. If I don't pay, Can they sell this debt to U.K. Collection Agency? But as it's a foreign debt, can they legally do anything here in U.K.?
kallis3
Forum Expert
Contact
by kallis3 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:45 am
Hi,

Hope you made a full recovery!

I've no idea on this one - hopefully one of our experts will be able to answer later.
redboxtree
by redboxtree » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:14 am
Debts can be enforced in other countries and in certain circumstances can act as a barrier to going back.
Michael Peoples
Industry Expert
Contact
by Michael Peoples » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:16 am
Given the amount of the debt it is unlikely that they will try and pursue the debt here. However they may seek judgment in the US and I believe that they can then add your name to a list of bad debtors which could affect your ability to return to the US should you ever so wish.
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:52 am
The U.S has a more robust approach to debt collection, which varies state by state. I would be wary at immigration should you choose to return.
Lisa Thomas
Industry Expert
Contact
by Lisa Thomas » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:48 pm
I can't see any reason why they couldn't instruct a UK collection agency to attempt to recover this so costs may start to rack up if you are unable to reach an amicable solution of repayment.
kallis3
Forum Expert
Contact
by kallis3 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:33 pm
A friend of ours got a speeding ticket in the US, which he ignored. He got several letters which he ignored. Eventually he was threatened that unless he paid it he stood a chance of being arrested at the airport and possible deportation. He paid up.

Did you have any medical insurance?
7 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”