I have applied to open a joint current bank account and it has been rejected.

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
21 posts Page 1 of 2
krys826
by krys826 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:37 pm
I have just received certificate for completing my IVA after 6 years and got my credit reports from Experian and Equifax which has come back totally clear with no judgements or debt against my name, however my husband and I have applied to open a joint current bank account and it has been rejected. His credit file is clear too. Do banks do other searches that I am not privy to, that they choose to reject the application? How long after completing your IVA does life return to normal and you are no longer treated like the scourge of society?
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:56 pm
Everything should be clear after 6 years, assuming all defaults are dated correctly. Have to had statutory reports ( £2 a time) from all three agencies? Check for Notices of Correction, which have to be removed on request.

Was the bank one of your creditors, or in the same group of companies ?
krys826
by krys826 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:03 pm
I have a full report from all 3 main credit agencies and there are no judgments, insolvencies against my name. My rating with all 3 is excellent and my payment history is unblemished. I bank with the Co Op and the new application was made with them. So the question is, is there a flag against my name that is unknown to me that will not show up on my reports that blacklists you and prevents you from moving on? And no the Co op was not a creditor.
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:07 pm
There shouldn't be -- I have just upgraded to a current account with the Co-Op and they gave me a credit card.

Notices of Correction have their own section and are not listed under Judgements or court information. If there is nothing obvious, ask them. They are not obliged to tell you,but might do so. They do have to tell you which agency they used, so you might be able to narrow the search down.
krys826
by krys826 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:24 pm
No there is nothing logged against Notices of Correction - my credit report looks faultless. I will contact them to see if they can tell me why I'm being blacklisted, but as you say they are not obliged to tell me. It really is frustrating and unfair, especially when most of my debt was cleared, with very little having been written off.
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:37 pm
Could be something unconnected -- are you both on the electoral roll ?
krys826
by krys826 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:42 pm
Yes.......everything appears to be in order for an impeccable credit file, this is why I was wondering if there was any other criteria that I am not aware of....but I guess I will not know.
Ryan
Industry Expert
Contact
by Ryan » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:25 am
Hi Krys,

Have you also checked that you have been removed from the Insolvency Register?

Regards
krys826
by krys826 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:33 am
No where would I do that?
krys826
by krys826 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:39 am
Just checked on the government website and no everything is clear. I'm at a loss as to what I should do. Is it just the co op bank that is being difficult or will I face this same problem trying to open a bank account elsewhere?
Ryan
Industry Expert
Contact
by Ryan » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:53 am
It may just be a credit score thing with Co-op in that case. It's the same with Mortgages, different Lenders credit score more harshly than others. Having had no new credit in the past 6 years can really lead to some Companies not being interested in offering you things unfortunately.
krys826
by krys826 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:58 am
It really is frustrating as both my husband and I bank with the co op. My credit score is 999 with Experian and 497 with Equifax.
Will being rejected for a bank account show up on my credit report?
Ryan
Industry Expert
Contact
by Ryan » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:13 am
The Experian score 999 sadly isn't a true score - we have been advised that it's not possible to actually score 999 with them and it really means that they can't locate you on things, again mainly due to not taking any credit out in the last 6 years.
redboxtree
by redboxtree » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:52 am
As much as they are open for business at the moment it does not necessarily mean they want new business at this point (but that is just a guess around a possibility).

Best idea if not over think it and see what happens with a different bank.
Lisa Thomas
Industry Expert
Contact
by Lisa Thomas » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:51 am
Is this the register you checked?

It would be unusual for you to come off so quickly after getting your CC (but not impossible) as it takes up to 3 months...:

https://www.insolvencydirect.bis.gov.uk/eiir/

I wonder if you were too quick to apply and may still have been on the register when Co-op carried out their checks.

You could also ask the Co-op to explain why you were rejected.

Also can I ask why you want credit - is it to begin rebuilding your credit score or for something else?
Last edited by Lisa Thomas on Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
21 posts Page 1 of 2
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”