If I move in with my mum will it affect her IVA?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
6 posts Page 1 of 1
chanel826
by chanel826 » Sun May 13, 2018 3:17 pm
I want to live with my mum but she’s worried it will affect her iva but I will live rent free so will it affect it
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Sun May 13, 2018 3:50 pm
If you are living rent free and also paying your own expenses (food etc) there should be no adjustment to her IVA payment, but, at the end of tha day, it will depend on the views of her own IP .. some are more accomodating than others.
kallis3
Forum Expert
Contact
by kallis3 » Sun May 13, 2018 4:42 pm
I think you will be ok - as long as you have no joint debts her iva should not be affected.
luluj
Forum Expert
Contact
by luluj » Mon May 14, 2018 4:03 am
Who would know you have moved in ? Your mums circumstances would not change if you are living rent free.
I presume you would be paying your oen way with food etc ?
Lisa Thomas
Industry Expert
Contact
by Lisa Thomas » Mon May 14, 2018 8:57 am
If her income changed because she started charging you rent then this may affect her IVA. If her expenses increased because she was paying for your costs this could affect her IVA. If you are paying your own way and covering your own costs and not paying any income it shouldn't affect her IVA and may potentially not need to be disclosed.
size5
Industry Expert
Contact
by size5 » Mon May 14, 2018 5:21 pm
Mrs Size would let the kids move back in rent free, I would not.

Apart from inevitably losing that battle, this would clearly have a negative effect on our budget as real life doesn't reflect ideal scenarios, so you are likely to indirectly push your mums expenses up, even if only on stuff like gas, electric and water.

Accordingly, I know of some more cynical people then me who would suggest that you do help out if you can, but just pay her cash rather than any monthly transfer. That way you would be helping your mum, and not getting her into the realms of higher payments either.

Of course, I could not possibly endorse such an action, but more letting you know how other people may view this dilemma.

Regards.
6 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”