In application process....worried!

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
4 posts Page 1 of 1

A_MPK88

Post by A_MPK88 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:44 pm
Hi all, so I've been on and off this forum for the past year and after the realisation I was just using my credit cards to keep me above water and with added interest rates I am barely making it through the month - I have taken the plunge to contact stepchange who advised an IVA.

I apologise in advance for the waffling post. I am having trouble getting documents together after getting married with a change of name and forgetting to change the banks over that I didn't use (just paying the minimum payment every month) and accidently shredding my marriage certificate to change them. I am now awaiting documents in the post which is taking a while.
Stepchange keep contacting me asking me to upload, I have called them and explained the situation which they have said is okay, I'm just worried that this is going to hinder the process.
I have asked for breathing space on 3 of my cards (not official breathing space these ones are for 30 days) and will have to for my other 2 cards as well. But I have a feeling this will not be sorted by the next time I need to pay. I have still used the 2 remaining cards this month as I paid over £500 towards them at the start of the month.
Are stepchange understanding with the amount of time it is taking? Also the creditors as I will not be able to pay them in full until the IVA agreement is set up.
In constant worry at the moment, I've ruined my teeth by grinding them so much and not sleeping at all.
I can't fault stepchange through the most part, every person I have spoken to has been helpful - however they have told me a lot of different things.
Then of course there is the worry of being accepted. I would be paying £330 to 5 creditors. Has anyone had a recent IVA with the help of stepchange?

Thanks 😌

Foggy

Forum Expert

Post by Foggy » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:58 pm
Stepchange get very little 'bad press' on here and are usually very accommodating. They do have a tendency, as do most other firms, to keep the ball rolling at the start, but I am sure they will understand the issues.

How much is your total debt and the proposed dividend ? £330 is a healthy payment, but, of course, the total debt this covers will be a big part of the equation.

If any of your creditors get heavy, pass them on to Stepchange to deal with them and get more time. Do not get involved in any discussion with them.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014
http://foggy.blogs.iva.co.uk

A_MPK88

Post by A_MPK88 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:27 pm
Thank you so much for your reply. Debt is around £31000 in total with 5 creditors, all credit cards.
The creditors I have spoken to have been understanding - of course I don't know if this will be the case when breathing space is over.
It's just a worrying process and I'm panicking as the things they are waiting for are my end, I don't want them thinking that I'm keeping them waiting and not bothered about getting things to them.
Then again you must be a robot if you don't find it daunting!

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:33 pm
It is daunting and very scary as non of us want to be in that position. You could go into your online accounts and remove contact details and similarly, if they do contact you then refuse to answer security questions as they cannot continue with the call.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk
4 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”