Income gone down

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
13 posts Page 1 of 1
dan385
by dan385 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:02 am
Hi all,

I get paid weekly and my income is very irregular. I'm currently earning £60 less a week than what my i&e was worked out on. My payment is £90 a month because I also have a car payment of £153. I had a e-mail from creditfix stating my payments will be staying the same after my 1st year review!

I stated that my council tax, petrol and electricity prices have gone up approximately by £7 a month combined and my weekly wages are on average down by £20. All paper work was sent as proof . How come they didn't fail it or offer at least a small monthly reduction?

The only way I've managed so far is some small help from family for food and a tenner here and there. Also some obviously spending less than the agreed amount on food.

I'm confused:(
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:10 am
You should challenge them, but, I would imagine that the result would be to fail the IVA as no longer sustainable as £90 per month is right at the bottom of the scale where the IVA just covers it's costs and the creditors get very little back.
dan385
by dan385 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:16 am
Thanks foggy. That's why I didn't want to ask them, in case they failed the agreement. It's been a bad 12 months at work due to the business being sold. Hopefully the new owners can turn things around.

If however my situation doesn't improve, I would have to stop the car payments and VIA payments. The car would get repossessed and bankruptcy would loom.
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:26 am
dan385 wrote:
Thanks foggy. That's why I didn't want to ask them, in case they failed the agreement. It's been a bad 12 months at work due to the business being sold. Hopefully the new owners can turn things around.

If however my situation doesn't improve, I would have to stop the car payments and VIA payments. The car would get repossessed and bankruptcy would loom.

Bankruptcy isn't always the outcome (depending on your assets). If the worse came to it, yes, the car would probably be a goner, but you might be able to look into a DMP with one of the "charitable" firms that don't charge fees for DMPs. Or ... you might qualify for a DRO if you meet those criteria: https://www.stepchange.org/debt-info/wh ... order.aspx
kallis3
Forum Expert
Contact
by kallis3 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:12 am
Depends on how much the car is worth for a DRO. Do you own your own home?
dan385
by dan385 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:32 pm
I would imagine the car isn't worth anymore than £3500, but I have £4800 owed on it. I have no assets and I rent. I have no intention on failing the agreement but if my income doesn't increase soon it will have to be done. I guess stopping car payments would make my via fail!
kallis3
Forum Expert
Contact
by kallis3 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:54 pm
Your car is worth too much for a DRO.
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:02 pm
kallis3 wrote:
Your car is worth too much for a DRO.

Not if it is repo'd before the DRO is applied for. But this would be a matter for a DRO intermediary to consider.
kallis3
Forum Expert
Contact
by kallis3 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:37 pm
It also depends on total amount of debt and if he owns his own home.
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:17 pm
Exactly -- as I said in my post above: "If you meet the criteria"
kallis3
Forum Expert
Contact
by kallis3 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:18 pm
Sorry Foggy!
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:20 pm
kallis3 wrote:
Sorry Foggy!

No worries :-)
Lisa Thomas
Industry Expert
Contact
by Lisa Thomas » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:51 am
Based on your posts I do wonder why an IVA was found to be appropriate in the first place...
13 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”