Is a compensation for waiving legal rights for employment termination- windfall?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
4 posts Page 1 of 1
libby
by libby » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:29 pm
Hi There,

I recently signed a settlement agreement with my company to terminate my employment rather than take them to employment tribunal. Part of this settlement is a payment of £2700 as compensation for waiving my legal rights.

This payment is due tomorrow and my annual review is next week - with creditfix

I am not currently employed, this all happened over Christmas, I haven't defaulted on my IVA. If they count this as a windfall I will not be able to pay rent, bills or my IVA payment as this is the money I have to cover myself until I find a new job.... do you think they will want to take it as a windfall?

Thanks in advance
Libby
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:50 pm
Thery might do, but I would argue that a windfall is not work related and this payment is .... if anything it should be treated in the same way as redundancy compensation and you should be allowed to retain up to the equivalent of 6 months salary with which to live on and pay the IVA while you look for work. You might have to think about a payment break in a few weeks too.
libby
by libby » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:02 pm
Thanks Foggy, that’s a relief to know!

My boyfriend and I are just about to move in together in the next couple of weeks, should I suggest to CreditFix that we do the review then? So much is going to have changed!

Glad I’ve found this forum :D
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:20 pm
libby wrote:
Thanks Foggy, that’s a relief to know!

My boyfriend and I are just about to move in together in the next couple of weeks, should I suggest to CreditFix that we do the review then? So much is going to have changed!

Glad I’ve found this forum :D

Mention it to them -- I doubt that they would want to do the work twice !
4 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”