Is it legally enforceable to pay a debt to a friend after my IVA is finished ?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
7 posts Page 1 of 1
anthony813
by anthony813 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:00 pm
I have completed an IVA.
One of the debts was to a friend.
I told him that I would try & pay him the outstanding balance after my IVA finished if I could afford to.
Is this legally enforceable?
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:47 pm
If the debt was included in the IVA it is not legally enforceable -- however, if you choose to reimburse him privately after the IVA has concluded that is your business. However, it could have been "set aside" by creditors as an associate debt and not actually included --- was the friend paid any dividend, like the other creditors ?
anthony813
by anthony813 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:56 pm
Foggy wrote:
If the debt was included in the IVA it is not legally enforceable -- however, if you choose to reimburse him privately after the IVA has concluded that is your business. However, it could have been "set aside" by creditors as an associate debt and not actually included --- was the friend paid any dividend, like the other creditors ?

Yes, he received a dividend like the other creditors.
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:33 pm
anthony813 wrote:
Foggy wrote:

Then, like the other debts, the debt is officially and legally written off.
anthony813
by anthony813 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:36 pm
Foggy wrote:
anthony813 wrote:
Foggy wrote:

Then, like the other debts, the debt is officially and legally written off.

Thanks
MerlinL14
by MerlinL14 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:58 am
Are you using the term 'friend' loosely?
anthony813
by anthony813 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:13 pm
MerlinL14 wrote:
Are you using the term 'friend' loosely?

Maybe.
He was kind enough to lend me the money & if I could, I would repay him in full.
I have paid him some monies after the IVA & will pay him more when I can afford to.
However he is insisting that I have a legal obligation & I just wanted to know where I stood.
7 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”