is it possible to work abroad and pay off an IVA ?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
5 posts Page 1 of 1

Rich.69

Post by Rich.69 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:51 pm
is it possible to work abroad and pay off an IVA ?

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:58 pm
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Yes it is as long as you maintain the payments. We have at least one regular poster on here who lives abroad.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Adam Davies

Post by Adam Davies » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:11 pm
Hi
Your payments will change if your disposable income changes but yes you can move abroad and carry on paying an IVA
Regards
Andam Davies

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:27 pm
I assume that you mean that you would continue making your monthly payments from abroad, rather than offering a one-off settlement? If so, then there should be no barriers to you continuing in such fashion, but as Andy alerts, do be aware of exchange rate fluctuations which may affect your disposable income.
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

animaleyes76

Post by animaleyes76 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:29 am
The only pain is that it generally costs about £25 per transaction to move money from a UK bank account to a foreign one, and vice versa.

It would be a waste of money (assuming you get paid to the foreign account) so I just called my IP and agreed to call them every month and pay by debit card. It's worked out fine for the last year and a half :)

Melanie is definitely right about exchange rates. I'd have a look at the last years history of the currency you are going to be using in your new country, and see what the highs and lows were. That way you can at least try to average it out to avoid nasty surprises.
Last edited by animaleyes76 on Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
5 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”