Is it worth getting a part time job

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
6 posts Page 1 of 1
dan385
by dan385 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:31 am
Morning all. I'm currently in full time employment, which my I&E is based on. If I got a part time job in the evening's (10hours) will all of this have to go to my payments or can I keep some for myself. Thanks
kallis3
Forum Expert
Contact
by kallis3 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:04 am
You would have to declare it and some may have to be paid across. You would need to do a new I&E.
dan385
by dan385 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:18 am
Thanks, so I wouldn't necessarily need to give it all to them? Would it be treated like overtime?
MerlinL14
by MerlinL14 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:41 am
dan385 wrote:
Thanks, so I wouldn't necessarily need to give it all to them? Would it be treated like overtime?

As it would be classed as additional income I doubt it would be seen the same as overtime provisions are. You would need to ask the specific question to your IVA company as it would be them who ultimately make the decision on how to treat the income, if it is favourable get them to put it in writing before you commit.
dan385
by dan385 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:47 am
Ok, I might just have to see if my current employer can offer me some overtime. Although in the current climate I can't see happening when I need it. Thanks
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:23 am
With overtime you get a 10% disregard (10% of usual salary) and then split the rest 50/50. With increased income by way of a pay rise or second job you will get no disregard and your payment will go up by 50% of the increase in income. However, if you then lose or give up the second job, it is sometimes hard to get the IP to reduce the payments again. Although they should some are reluctant to do so!
6 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”