Is there any point in cutting down monthly expenditures

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
8 posts Page 1 of 1
Vince_100
by Vince_100 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:16 pm
I'm currently in month 6 of my IVA journey.

At first I was looking at reducing mobile phone contract, sky once contracts are up etc. But then i see posts of other people reducing their bills only for the IVA repayments to go up anyway?
So what i'm saying is, is there any point of trying to now reduce my monthly outgoings further while in my IVA only to have my payments go up at review?
MerlinL14
by MerlinL14 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:42 pm
I didn't reduce any utilities, TV or phone contracts while in the IVA. But I was also careful to not be tempted to 'up' any either, knowing that it could come and bite me back at some stage.
kallis3
Forum Expert
Contact
by kallis3 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:55 pm
I agree with Merlin - I kept mine as they were.
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:57 pm
There is no real point in reducing previously agreed expenditures. As you say, any savings would be re-routed to the IVA payment.
Vince_100
by Vince_100 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:58 pm
I'm not planning on increasing anything like that. Just seems a bit harsh that if you save yourself X amount a month for it just to be added on at review
abbiesmum2003
by abbiesmum2003 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:51 pm
No. Those allowances are built into your I&E budget. If reduce them youre IVa payment may go up. You wont see a saving or extra in your pocket, and then the bill will go up and youll be worse off as unlikely will reduce the iva payment.
We didnt reduce anything-if anything everything went up during our iva but payment never went down! Try and make savings on non-essential stuff to put a bit aside if things do go up but pointless reducing mobile/tvonce I&E is set up.
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:46 pm
Vince_100 wrote:
I'm not planning on increasing anything like that. Just seems a bit harsh that if you save yourself X amount a month for it just to be added on at review

Really no harsher than your creditors having to get back a fraction of what they lent you in good faith. The object of an IVA is to allow you to pay back as much as possible whilst still being able to survive, not to get away with paying as little as possible.
kallis3
Forum Expert
Contact
by kallis3 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:34 pm
Agree. If you can save a few pennies from your allowances then do so and put that away for a rainy day. You can also do online surveys for vouchers for Christmas and Birthdays.
8 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”