Is this a scam?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
7 posts Page 1 of 1
john938
by john938 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:46 pm
I have had an phone call and the an e-mail from Equity in Finance Ltd.
They told me that I have a claim for PPI and that this claim has been accepted by the offending Company which amounts to a return of over £7000 before their fees.
I have now got an e-mail confirming this and they will send a cheque in 7 days if I pay upfront a fee of £608 which is the solicitors fee (15% of claim).

This sounds like a scam and the fee will disappear after the claim has been addressed of put forward as invalid or some such excuse.

Is this a scam.

I am not in IVA
luluj
Forum Expert
Contact
by luluj » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:15 pm
I personally would delete and ignore - if you have never instructed them to look into PPI, signed any paperwork I would be 99.9% sure it is a scam !
MerlinL14
by MerlinL14 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:17 pm
Never pay an upfront fee for any service, as you suspect it smells like £$%^ and looks like £$%^ it probably is £$%^.
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:37 am
You say you are not in an IVA -- have you been in one before now ? If so, the money belongs to that, not to you ... so you would be forking out £600 - odd for no return to yourself ! However, in any event, I strongly suspect that you wouldn't see it anyway ! The email could quite possibly not even be from Equity in Finance.
Radish
by Radish » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:10 am
I received a text message the other day saying Argos are refunding me over £200 - and the text that came said "Argos" - I referred to Doctor Google which informed me that this is a scam and not to click the link sent.
kallis3
Forum Expert
Contact
by kallis3 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:32 pm
If it sounds too good to be true it probably is.
plasticdaft
Forum Expert
Contact
by plasticdaft » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:33 pm
So many scams going round.

As mentioned if it seems too good to be true its probably a scam.

Paul
7 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”