IVA accepted on Monday, bailiffs turned up on Thursday

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
8 posts Page 1 of 1
Junebug92
by Junebug92 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:11 pm
Our IVA was approved on monday-yay! Today, the enforcement agents handling our largest debt (that was indeed included in the IVA) turned up with a threatening letter asking me to pay in full by tomorrow!! Obviously I contacted our IP immediately but I'm so upset and shaken up. What if we were away and they'd come in and seized goods?? The whole reason I got an IVA in the first place was because these guys were just so unbearably difficult to deal with and bullying. Is there anyone I can/should complain to about this? Really thought I'd never see these bullies again...
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:33 pm
To be fair the IVA would not have got through the system to the bailiffs in time to stop them. If you were away they cannot force entry and seize goods.
MerlinL14
by MerlinL14 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:08 pm
What a horrible experience you had to go through, like Foggy says the paperwork wouldn't have filtered down to the debt collections or bailiffs in time. But have heart in the fact that your IVA was arranged and started before they did turn up. After that little episode the next 60 months will not be as hard to bear, not a doddle but pretty much stress free and leaving you in control. Good luck in your debt free journey.
Junebug92
by Junebug92 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:12 pm
Foggy wrote:
To be fair the IVA would not have got through the system to the bailiffs in time to stop them. If you were away they cannot force entry and seize goods.

Thank you for your response
The letter they handed me said otherwise! They said that they would return to seize goods tomorrow if I didn't make payment in full today whether we were there or not.
Hopefully it's just that they didn't get the message and not that they're trying their luck to get money out of me.

Thank you so much Merlin, that's a great way of looking at it! Hopefully that's the last we hear from them.
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:19 pm
Junebug92 wrote:
Foggy wrote:

Thank you for your response
The letter they handed me said otherwise! They said that they would return to seize goods tomorrow if I didn't make payment in full today whether we were there or not.
Hopefully it's just that they didn't get the message and not that they're trying their luck to get money out of me.

Thank you so much Merlin, that's a great way of looking at it! Hopefully that's the last we hear from them.

Did you let them into the house ? Did they make an inventory of goods ? If they call to remove goods call the police. You are protected from enforcement action by the IVA.
luluj
Forum Expert
Contact
by luluj » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:52 pm
Sorry to read this.. not what you want when your iva has just started ... hopefully they will go away and not return tomorrow having been told it was an administrative error.
You are fully protected in your iva but can understand how anxious you are feeling.

Let us know how you get on x
Ryan
Industry Expert
Contact
by Ryan » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:45 am
I echo Lulu's thoughts.

Fingers crossed everything is sorted.

Regards
MerlinL14
by MerlinL14 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:38 pm
As has been said, you are protected, by a court order in fact. The debt collectors will know that and as Foggy says call the Police if they return as intimidation and causing distress is a criminal matter not a civil matter like the debt they recon you owe. I can't empathise your distress as I never got debt collectors knocking, but can understand how you felt. I hope this goes away and you can look back on it after a few years and just sigh, debt free.
Do not let the debt collectors visit make you feel bad, we are all here for support if you want it.
8 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”