IVA and DLA

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
4 posts Page 1 of 1
Peterdn96
by Peterdn96 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:45 am
Good morning all.
We have received a Disability Living Allowance for our daughter and I was wondering if we have to report it to our practicioner? The money will be used for therapies, etc for the little one, so itll not increase our monthly butget but I was wondering if it stll has to be reported? Also, are they allowed to increase my monthly payment due to this?
Any help much appreciated.
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:10 am
This is sometimes a thorny subject -- most IP's will take the DLA in as income on one side and immediately offset if with corresponding expenses (i.e what it was paid for in the first place). However,we have had a few instances where an IP has tried to include it as income without the offsets. My advice is as above.

Unfortunately posters rarely come back to us with any update, so we don't now how any challenge fared.

In any event, it does have to be declared.
Twiglet
by Twiglet » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:53 pm
We received DLA for our son throughout our IVA. As Foggy has said, our son’s DLA was put down as part of our income, however, this was offset against the costs associated with his disabilities. You will have to make it clear that it is your child’s income though but that is easily evidenced with the DLA letters. Also, not sure if you’re aware, but if you receive tax credits, you need to tell them about DLA, any increase to the tax credits due to DLA will then be taken as extra income for the purpose of IVA.
Peterdn96
by Peterdn96 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:34 pm
Twiglet wrote:
We received DLA for our son throughout our IVA. As Foggy has said, our son’s DLA was put down as part of our income, however, this was offset against the costs associated with his disabilities. You will have to make it clear that it is your child’s income though but that is easily evidenced with the DLA letters. Also, not sure if you’re aware, but if you receive tax credits, you need to tell them about DLA, any increase to the tax credits due to DLA will then be taken as extra income for the purpose of IVA.

Thanks for all replies.

Twiglet, did you have to get a proof / invoices of costs associated with your sons disabilities? Only reason Im asking is that we are still looking for best solutions and therapies for our daughter, but not completely sure what will be the cost you see...

Thanks in advance.
4 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”