IVA and mortgage options

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
5 posts Page 1 of 1
disneygal
by disneygal » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:00 pm
So just started my IVA 6 months ago. Currently have 17 years left on my mortgage with NRAM. My IVA is in my name and not my husbands. When my IVA is over we will need to either move house or remortgage our current home. this is because our current mortgage is interest only.
I know that it will be unlikely for me to get another mortgage for a long time after my IVA completes. Could my husband remortgage in his name only to another lender? I am just wondering if he will be penalised as I have been in an IVA. When I applied for the IVA I was told his credit history wouldn't be affected but now after reading up can see if we share bank accounts (which we do) and a joint account this may hinder his score. Just trying to plan ahead. If anyone has been through similar please let me know.
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:24 am
Once your credit file clears (just after the 6th anniversary, assuming the arrangement is complete by then) you will be able to remortgage at reasonable rates. In your case, with NRAM in the mix, it might be 7 years with equity release extension if NRAM have done their usual trick and made it a 6 year term from the start.

With joint finances there could be an effect on your husband's credit score as you will be on his file as an associate. It is up to individual lenders as to how they treat that nugget of information.

I see that you mention joint bank accounts and a "shared account" -- what account is this ? If it is a joint debt your husband will need to be paying this off himself.
luluj
Forum Expert
Contact
by luluj » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:20 pm
It will best to take professional advice once your iva ends ...the forum currently has two mortgage experts in Ryan and Shaun and I am sure they would direct you now and in the future.
There will be a solution ...
Ryan
Industry Expert
Contact
by Ryan » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:43 am
Hi,

You mention that you are looking for the future and doubt that you would be able to get a mortgage for 'a long time' after the IVA - this may be the case for some Lenders however, we have access to High Street Lenders who will look to lend normally 6 years after the IVA began.

Regards
Shaun Vickery
Industry Expert
Contact
by Shaun Vickery » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:51 am
Do I understand it correctly that your current mortgage is in joint names?
5 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”