IVA approved - now Br Gas need sorting

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
7 posts Page 1 of 1
rachel270
by rachel270 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:34 pm
Me again!
I had my IVA approved yesterday. British gas were two of the two creditors that didn't vote.
My IP said to speak to BG and let them know what the deal was and they would open a new account for me.
Called BG just now and they were about as good as a chocolate fire guard.
Finally got through to the debt/collections dept and she said that she has cancelled my upcoming DD as it was £100 a month (i have very expensive heating and need to pay 100 to get in credit for the winter)
My debt with them is 150. If i paid the 100 it would just bring my debit down so i wanted it stopped and a new account opened.
All she said was she has cancelled my DD and to email them my paperwork that i will get through to say it's been approved and they will contact me.
Is this normal?
Just that she said they knew nothing about my IVA, which is strange because i said they were contacted but chose not to vote.
Do you think i should send in my paperwork or leave it to Stepchange to sort out?
She didn't mention anything about opening a new BG account.
Sorry for the long rant I'm just a little frustrated.
She kept asking for a court date and court number so i explained it's an IVA and not bankrupcy.
Arghhhh!
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:51 pm
I think your last sentence (before the scream) says it all ! The debt / collections department don't even know what an IVA is .... so probably don't know how to deal with one --- at least that particular call handler! I would ask Stepchange to have a word.

Normally they would freeze the account in the IVA and open a fresh one going forward. They may, however, also decide to put you on a prepayment meter.
rachel270
by rachel270 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:22 pm
I think i stupidly assumed that as i was talking to the debt management dept that she might have an idea what an iva was.
To be honest I'm not too worried about having a pre payment meter, i would still put on my 100 a month and at least i could see exactly what I'm spending day to day.
I certainly don't feel comfortable sending in my iva documents to them, even when i asked what to send she didnt have a clue and just said "all your paperwork" lol.
You're right i don't think they have a clue
I'm just worried about the fact she cancelled my DD and so I'm not paying anything right now
kallis3
Forum Expert
Contact
by kallis3 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:44 am
Put your £100 aside so you have money to pay them when they ask for it.
SteveUK
by SteveUK » Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:44 pm
rachel270 wrote:
To be honest I'm not too worried about having a pre payment meter, i would still put on my 100 a month and at least i could see exactly what I'm spending day to day.

Just be careful that if they do give you a pre-payment meter they don't add the debt onto it.
rachel270
by rachel270 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:46 am
I spoke to Stepchange and they advised me to open a new account with a different supplier. I changed it right after the call.

It seems to have gone through ok, Stepchange said that the debt would just stay on my account with BG but they can't do anything about it (chasing me) as they are included in the IVA.

lets see what happens in the next few weeks!
kallis3
Forum Expert
Contact
by kallis3 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:14 am
Good news.
7 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”