IVA completed but still on record, can i rent a home?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
2 posts Page 1 of 1
by toby847 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:09 pm
My IVA was completed and satisfied on 26th May 2017.
I'm no longer on the insolvency register and I've obtained credit reports from the 3 main consumer credit agencies and they all say that my IVA was satisfied/completed on the 26th May 2017.
I am still living frugally and I'm actually saving some money which feels great.
However, this is where I need some advice:
I have lived in the same grotty flat for 8 years and I have decided that I'd like to move. I can't afford to buy (and I think its unlikely that I'd be offered a mortgage) so I'd just like to rent another flat/house in a nicer area. I have found a couple of places I really like and are within my budget, however I am aware that the estate agents will have to do a credit check on me, but the IVA is still on my record for another 6 months (although it clearly states that its been completed/satisfied).
Have any other forum members been through this process of trying to rent a place whilst either still in an IVA, or as I am, completed but its still on my record?
Any help anyone can give would be really appreciated as I'm keen to move but I don't want to mess things up by making an application, being declined and it affecting my credit record further.
Thanks in advance.
Forum Expert
by Foggy » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:00 pm
You would be better to stick out the 6 months until it comes off the credit files --- even though it is marked completed it is still there and will cause you to fail the credit check. This can sometimes be overcome by offering a larger deposit or rent up front, or a guarantor. But, apart from the failed search on record, you will priobably find you have to pay a hefty admin fee for the search, just to rub salt into the wounds.
2 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”