IVA completed. Receiving letters from collection agencies demanding full payment

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
4 posts Page 1 of 1
el
by el » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:51 pm
I entered into an IVA in 2007 with Debt Free Direct. In Feb 2016 I received a letter from them with a cheque for £90. The first line of the letter stated 'a refund due to you following the completion of your IVA'. A couple of weeks ago I started getting demands from various collection agencies (3 received in total now) demanding full payment of the original debt. I cannot find my completion certificate (radical house / life change following the IVA) and am concerned that my IVA is still live. I have researched & know DFD no longer exist & have contacted the purchasing company but have not had a response to date.
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:57 pm
Check the Insolvency Register to make sure it has gone from there --- then check the credit agencies to see if it is on your files anywhere. The chances are that these companies have bought "Lots" of bad debt from the original lenders at some point and are now chasing before they become statute barred without realising they were written off in an IVA.
el
by el » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:10 pm
Foggy wrote:
Check the Insolvency Register to make sure it has gone from there --- then check the credit agencies to see if it is on your files anywhere. The chances are that these companies have bought "Lots" of bad debt from the original lenders at some point and are now chasing before they become statute barred without realising they were written off in an IVA.

I checked the Insolvency Register (searched my name), nothing came up.
My Credit Report has nothing related to this on it & states I have no bankruptcies or insolvencies or court judgements.
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:05 pm
el wrote:
Foggy wrote:

I checked the Insolvency Register (searched my name), nothing came up.
My Credit Report has nothing related to this on it & states I have no bankruptcies or insolvencies or court judgements.

Well, at least that means that it was formally closed down. DFD would have sent a copy of the final report and completion certificate to the Insovency Service -- they might be able to produce copies. Worth an ask.
4 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”