iva debtline, are they trying to scam us ?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
37 posts Page 2 of 3

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:52 pm
The companies who trawl the internet and charge the earth should be banned. Those who can assist, don't tout for business and don't charge a lot are fine.

Apologies if I misread your post Liam.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

TheMatrix

Post by TheMatrix » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:22 pm
What these companies don't take into consideration is I decided on the IVA route and don't want to have to say I've been made bankrupt, now or in the future.

I'm proud of the fact I went into a IVA, rather than going BR, even though I would have been better off going BR myself as I have no assets.
We're willing to wipe the slate clean, give you a fresh start. All that we're asking in return is your cooperation.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:30 pm
Same here - however these companies are fishing for those people who don't. There are a lot of people who will fall for their marketing.
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.

PELDER

Post by PELDER » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:24 pm
Well they have given up on me it seems as I haven't had one of these letters fall through the letterbox for over 4 months now and I was receiving them with monotonous regularity up until then, this suggests that they perhaps give up after a while, or perhaps size5 has scared them all off as I forwarded some of those letters to him. ( I will probably get one tomorrow now that I have opened my big mouth !!)

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:27 pm
We get one or two every few months. I ignore them all.
Bob Marley.

MRBLUESKY

Post by MRBLUESKY » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:51 pm
nice to hear from you sean hope your ok mate.this might sound mad but i dont get many letters these days post iva so when i do get one i get a buzz even if it is the council tax bill.[:)]
Last edited by MRBLUESKY on Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:57 pm
I love it when the postie walks past these days! I never have a buzz getting a bill.
Bob Marley.

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:44 pm
Good IP firms give good advice about all options, and are not motivated by selling any one solution. I would hope that good DMP companies and bankruptcy assist companies do the same.

I find it frankly insulting when I see some of the letters from these firms, and there has been no where near the amount of mis-selling as has occured in the mortgage broker business over the last few years.
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

lukeofyorkshire

Post by lukeofyorkshire » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:51 am
I too have not had a letter from one of these firms in a while. My ritual burning of them and placing a Hex on the companies concerned might have something to do with it lol [:D]
1st payment Oct 2008, last payment Dec 2013. Certificate received March 2015 due to PPI claim.

size5

Industry Expert

Post by size5 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:57 am
Just a quick reminder, haven't posted one for a while, that if anyone receives any of these unsolicited letters then please forward them on to me by fax, post or e mail. My details are in the experts section on the front page.

Regards.
Cert DR
23+ years in debt advice
I do not post for anyone other than myself

Follow my tweets at http://twitter.com/debtmastersize5

lukeofyorkshire

Post by lukeofyorkshire » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:03 am
I'll do that next time then!
1st payment Oct 2008, last payment Dec 2013. Certificate received March 2015 due to PPI claim.

sfrf

Post by sfrf » Tue May 24, 2011 11:51 am
I had one of these letters from iva debtline and told them to go and shove it even after I told them that my husband would lose his job if he went bankrupt they tried to talk me into splitting our debts and go bankrupt myself and leave my husband with the iva unbelievable. I have an iva with Varden Nuttalls and they have been great I can sleep at night knowing I have no debts on my door matt in the morning and take comfort in knowing that there is light at the end of the tunnel after the 5 yrs.

strega

Post by strega » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:44 pm
I believe that they may try to persuade you to bankrupt yourself if you have little or no equity in the house and this will allow you to keep your house & it be written off 3years or less later. This they will charge you a fee for. Or they will try to get you to refinance the house / take a secured loan. They will then renegotiate the payments and pay this off for you. Their fees I fear may be substatial but they will add it to the finance and justify it to you as interest rates are staying low. The problem is that the rates mey rise sooner than later and you may find yourself in bigger and deeper doh doh

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:48 pm
These companies should be avoided like the plague as has already been explained on this thread. If there are any problems with an IVA then the IP should be the first point of contact. These companies will have no idea whether or not you have equity in your house.
Bob Marley.

size5

Industry Expert

Post by size5 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:54 am
Based in Dorset again I note, why am I not surprised?

Regards.
Cert DR
23+ years in debt advice
I do not post for anyone other than myself

Follow my tweets at http://twitter.com/debtmastersize5
37 posts Page 2 of 3
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”