IVA declined due to too much equity

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
10 posts Page 1 of 1
hrobson
by hrobson » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:19 pm
What to do if house is has too much equity according to IP so Iva declined
SteveUK
by SteveUK » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:34 pm
hrobson wrote:
What to do if house is has too much equity according to IP so Iva declined

Re-mortgage?
Downsize?
kallis3
Forum Expert
Contact
by kallis3 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:11 pm
We had a load of equity in ours and had no problem with an IVA. If you are already in debt you are unlikely to be able to remortgage.

Which company was this with.
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:15 pm
What are the figures involved and at what stage were you told this .... and by whom?

Sometimes this can be a hurdle for some creditors.
luluj
Forum Expert
Contact
by luluj » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:46 am
We were faced with the same situation at the outset of our iva in 2007.
For us the option was either sell the house and go into rented or consider bankruptcy.
Due to my employment bankruptcy was not an option so we sold up and moved into rented for 3.5yrs - a decision we have never regretted. It allowed for the secure loan to be paid off as well as the mortgage, and then our iva was set at a repayment that provided 91p in the £ return.
Due to sad, unforseen circumstances in December 2009 our iva came to an early end and through inheritance we paid 100% back of our original debt plus IP fees.
Shaun Vickery
Industry Expert
Contact
by Shaun Vickery » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:09 am
Creditors do seem to be raising this question increasingly at the moment. If you are unable to re-mortgage to settle the debts and they need to be resolved I suspect selling up may be the only option.
Lisa Thomas
Industry Expert
Contact
by Lisa Thomas » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:11 pm
The IVA has to be fair and reasonable to creditors and attractive enough for them to accept the alternative that you might propose through an IVA.

I presume you have not actually put any proposals forward but an IP has told you an IVA would not be viable based on whatever alternative you were proposing?

What did the IP tell you was your best option?
hrobson
by hrobson » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:48 am
I have been declined an IVA as allegedly following a zoopla search my house has too much equity.
The reality is that it is a paper exercise.
If i did sell my house and pay off the debts I would be homeless as couldn't buy again as insufficient funds and would be declined a mortgage and would not even be eligible to rent as that involves a credit check.
What do you advise?
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:32 am
How much equity do they "calculate" and how much is it in reality ? Who advised you and was this at initial enquiry or was it refused by creditors at the meeting ?
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:34 am
Topics merged.
10 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”