IVA payments increased, i can't afford. IP says family should chip in payments!

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
10 posts Page 1 of 1
stuart377
by stuart377 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:44 pm
I have a Iva paid £80 per month for the last two years in my last review they have told me my payments are going up to £203 a month we used to clam from 2 adults 5 kids now we calm for 2 adults 3kids my 19 year old stepson goes to college but we don't get anything for him I told my advisor that an he said the Iva don't care about that an he should get a job to help with the payment I can't afford £203 a month I might just stop paying them ps I owe about 7000 now help me I need some advice I'm considering bankruptcy
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:48 pm
Who are you with ? Are they making this increase purely on the loss of dependant children or have you had an income increase as well ?

Do you own or rent ?

What job do you do ?
stuart377
by stuart377 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:50 pm
We are no better off due to child care cost ect an yer we only get family allowance for the youngest 3 as josh is 19 an classed as a adult now the Iva is with Harrington brooks
Last edited by stuart377 on Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stuart377
by stuart377 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:37 pm
stuart377 wrote:
I have a Iva paid £80 per month for the last two years in my last review they have told me my payments are going up to £203 a month we used to clam from 2 adults 5 kids now we calm for 2 adults 3kids my 19 year old stepson goes to college but we don't get anything for him I told my advisor that an he said the Iva don't care about that an he should get a job to help with the payment I can't afford £203 a month I might just stop paying them ps I owe about 7000 now help me I need some advice I'm considering bankruptcy
Iva is with Harrington brooks
luluj
Forum Expert
Contact
by luluj » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:47 am
If your son is in higher education are you sure there is no extension of child benefit or grants available to help you as he is 19 ?
stuart377
by stuart377 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:28 pm
hi we have asked tax credit ect ect and they have said because he is over 19 we can't claim for him how can I go about being bankrupt?? :?:
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:44 pm
You will need to fail the IVA, by missing three payments, then yoiu apply to your local court for bankruptcy proceedings -- this will cost you £750 up front. If you own any assets (house, car etc) they can be at risk. Also check that your employment allows this. Speak to your local CAB. Dependimg on your figures and circumstances , another solution might be more appropriate.
stuart377
by stuart377 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:59 pm
Foggy wrote:
You will need to fail the IVA, by missing three payments, then yoiu apply to your local court for bankruptcy proceedings -- this will cost you £750 up front. If you own any assets (house, car etc) they can be at risk. Also check that your employment allows this. Speak to your local CAB. Dependimg on your figures and circumstances , another solution might be more appropriate.

Hi there it's a Iva in my name nothing to do with my wife the car is my wife's apart from that we have nothing more really I have contacted the CAB waiting for them to get back to me I don't no what to do
kallis3
Forum Expert
Contact
by kallis3 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:48 am
It does sound as though bankruptcy could be an option. I believe you can pay for it in instalments but it does have to be fully paid before you apply for it.

How much are your debts in total? Are you claiming all benefits? Could be you are entitled to more. CAB will help you with that.
Michael Peoples
Industry Expert
Contact
by Michael Peoples » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:48 am
Ask to speak with the IP directly and get your file reviewed. If you cannot afford the increase it makes sense to let the IVA continue at the present amount and that may be the best option. Check you are receiving all the allowances for your family and if you need a copy of these allowances drop me an email and I will send them to you.
10 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”