Missing Tooth !

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
13 posts Page 1 of 1

running_woodchucks

Post by running_woodchucks » Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:58 pm
Hello,

Just as I am starting down the IVA road I find I need £3000 worth of dental treatment. I need an implant which you can't get on the NHS, and I don't fancy a missing front tooth for the next few years.

Just how many more knocks I can take I really don't know.

Cheers
Mike

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:13 pm
Not good news Mike - are you sure you can't get treatment on the NHS?
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Broke of London

Post by Broke of London » Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:20 pm
Hi, talk to your IP about this as they may be able to accommodate a payment break to allow you to save up for the implant. I need lots of dental work too and am going to put forward a case for dental insurance...doing similar might help you too.

Everyone says the first year is the hardest but don't feel disheartened. Good things will happen too!!!

running_woodchucks

Post by running_woodchucks » Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:24 pm
Thanks, I haven't started my IVA yet, so will just have to stump up !. Its just the really bad timing when my finances are under scrutiny. !

I don't understand the NHS, break a bone in your leg & its covered, break a bone in your mouth and it ain't..

Not sure how that is fair ?

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:29 pm
It may be possible for us to delay the start of your IVA payments - I did this recently for a lady who was pregnant and she did not pay anything for the first four months.

The maintenance of a healthy body, takes a far higher precedence to debt repayments in my book.
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

Broke of London

Post by Broke of London » Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:36 pm
Don't worry about the scrutiny. It's not as if you're spending £3k on a holiday or anything. This is your health we're talking about!

PELDER

Post by PELDER » Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:40 pm
Maybe you can get free treatment from your nearest Dental Hospital if you are prepared to allow dental students to practise on you - My Father does, and being a pensioner he has had extensive work done on his teeth at Birmingham Dental Hospital over the last few years for free, and since I began my IVA that is the route that I have taken as my dentist is prohibitively expensive and recently quoted me £200 to repair a crown, then told me that the tooth underneath it would probably have to come out anyway because of decay and it would still cost £200 - I know when somebody is trying to rip me off and I am not interested in contributing to the purchase of her next Porsche so I went to the Dental Hospital for an appraisal, X-ray and a same day extraction by a couple of charming students - job done - FREE !

PS - I like the website facelift !
Last edited by PELDER on Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shining

Post by Shining » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:51 am
I hope you manage to get your teeth sorted very soon, as Melanie says it's important!
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

antm

Post by antm » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:36 am
I broke my front tooth a year ago, had a mtb accident, face first over the handlebars, loads of bruising stitches nearly 30 in my chin and upper lip, all fixed by the nhs but my front tooth, nope i have to pay privately so far all ive managed is to get it checked out and been told they can fix it but at a cost. 18 months later still not fixed, maybe one day after my iva i will get it fixed. My only worry is one day the rest will break off.

Good luck with getting it started, and yep the first year is the hardest as you adapt but saying that, its difficult all the way through its just the light at the end of the tunnel gets closer.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:37 pm
I had a very nasty experience with the Dental Hospital some years ago Pelder, have to say I wouldn't be going back anytime soon![:)]
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

rayb

Post by rayb » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:41 pm
Must say I agree Jan. I went to Guys in London and tried there
Trainee Dental Department and never again - and that was only a check up lol [:D]

PELDER

Post by PELDER » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:01 pm
Must admit Jan & Rayb that I have heard some horror stories too about the Dental Hospitals but I have had 3 visits there (all extractions!)over the last 15 years or so and have found them to be well organised and helpful, and more importantly - free, but to get back to the original point it is possible to get free treatment whoever you are at these places and you don't have to be a pensioner or disabled to get treatment as you can have such things as a scale & polish and implants for free at your dental hospital and the dental students usually have an expert watching over what they are doing - the prospect of pain & a novice treating him doesn't deter my 80 year old Father from making regular visits to the DH and he has had 'the works' over the last 3 years and hasn't finished yet - incidentally, I was first sent to the DH by my local dentist who was too weak to pull my tooth out, so after 20 minutes tugging she sent me to the DH to have them do it instead - they were not impressed by that!

running_woodchucks

Post by running_woodchucks » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:05 pm
Thanks for all the replies, my local DH will not do implants unless there is a very very good reason and the waiting list is in excess of 2 years. I think I will just bite the bullet and go ahead before I start the IVA with the help of my parents.
13 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”