money owed to government cannot go on IVA?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
3 posts Page 1 of 1


User avatar
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:15 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Post by aimeemya2001 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:11 am
I have received a phone call from CSL debt collection advising that I owe them £186 for a overpayment of housing benefit back in 1999.I knew nothing about this and the address they have is my previous address. My IVA is currently being reviewed and I asked CSL to send me the info to my new address and they refused and said I have to pay in full as it money owed to government and can not go on my IVA. Can someone please help I am not sure what to do. Aimee

Michael Peoples

User avatar
Industry Expert
Posts: 15189
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:36 pm

Post by Michael Peoples » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:17 am
You should make your IP aware of this debt. Some government debts can be included while others cannot. If this debt cannot be included your IP may allow you to repay it by missing an IVA payment and making up the difference over the remainder of the term.
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit


User avatar
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:21 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Post by herbek » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:28 pm
Does this not fall under the statute of limitations. ... on_act.php

Implies here that Benefit overpayments are limited to 6 years but if you are still in receipt of benefits the DWP could recover the money from those payments after 6 years.
3 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”