Moving in with partner

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
7 posts Page 1 of 1
r0bs0n
by r0bs0n » Mon May 21, 2018 12:08 pm
I have a question regarding moving in / renting somewhere with a partner.

Currently I live with my parents so I don't have things like utility bills included on my IVA as it's all covered in my rent. How does it work when moving in with a partner, if it's her place and I'm just moving in can I give her a lump sum like I give my parents and keep the payments the same?

I know it's conversation I'd have to have with my IP but I thought I'd ask if anyone has any experience of this. Of course I'd rather not bring my financial history and link it with theirs for obvious reasons.

Thanks
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Mon May 21, 2018 12:25 pm
Probably easiest if, as you say, you agree a lump sum and pay that monthky as though you were, in fact, house sharing, rather than living together. That way, too, it will be easier to keep your finances distanced from each other to prevent your IVA tainting her credit record.
r0bs0n
by r0bs0n » Mon May 21, 2018 12:42 pm
Thank you, I think that'd be for the easiest solution in terms of managing the money and keeping things seperate.

When it comes to things like council tax as she'd have to declare that I live there, would that link us financially? Or would she just say someone else lives there, this is their name he's lodging or something?
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Mon May 21, 2018 1:23 pm
She would name you as a lodger, but would lose her single persons discount however you are described. I do not know whether they will issue a bill in joint names, but when I had a lodger (before my IVA) they were not mentioned on the bill.
r0bs0n
by r0bs0n » Mon May 21, 2018 4:52 pm
How much would you tell the IP? I mean I'd have to say I'm changing address but do I just say I'm lodging with a friend and I'm paying X amount?
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Mon May 21, 2018 5:20 pm
I would just say I am changing address and paying this amount, including bills ... none of his business who else is in the house and not your information to divulge about housemates.
r0bs0n
by r0bs0n » Mon May 21, 2018 6:03 pm
Is it different if it's both of us looking to rent somewhere?

I imagine I wouldn't pass a credit check now so trying to steer away from regular estate agents and go privately like openrent and stuff but I wondered if the same principles would apply if I told them I was changing address and everything went through my partners bank and I just gave her a lump sum every month, but I'd be on the tenancy agreement.
7 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”