My sister has two years left on her IVA and we have inherited money

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
5 posts Page 1 of 1
jodie537
by jodie537 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:55 pm
My sister has two years left on her Iva she wants me to give her cash as we have inherited money is this illegal she says it's not as she sells items online using a friends bank account but says this is also legal ?
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:18 pm
What do you mean -- has she inherited a share and she wants it in cash ? The executors of the will should check if she is in an IVA or similar and pay her share to the IP as her creditors are entitled to it. As for selling online, she is allowed to sell her own surplus belongings but not as a business.
luluj
Forum Expert
Contact
by luluj » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:14 pm
If your sister has been named in a will and is due to inherit her IP needs to be aware to ensure creditors receive what they are entitled to. As frustrating as it is this is a windfall and needs to be paid for the benefit of her creditors
robbie85
by robbie85 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:17 am
Foggy wrote:
As for selling online, she is allowed to sell her own surplus belongings but not as a business.

There would be nothing stopping her from helping her friend to use eBay effectively.

If she declared it as her friend's and the paper trail does not show a link from her friend's account to hers, then wouldn't this be ok?
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:59 am
robbie85 wrote:
Foggy wrote:
As for selling online, she is allowed to sell her own surplus belongings but not as a business.

There would be nothing stopping her from helping her friend to use eBay effectively.

If she declared it as her friend's and the paper trail does not show a link from her friend's account to hers, then wouldn't this be ok?

If the use of ebay is such that it is wrong in the IVA, i'e it is actually a small business, then manipulating the facts as you suggest is actually fraud as well as tax evasion, so, no, not OK.

If she is just selling her own surplus second hand goods it is OK to do it in her own name without resorting to subterfuge.
5 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”