My son has run up debts for a gym membership

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
20 posts Page 1 of 2

Jane.er

Post by Jane.er » Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:45 pm
My son, who is in his thirties, has run up debts of £2800 for a 3 year gym membership.
He says he does not remember committing himself to 3 years but the gym have a contract that they say he signed and are taking him to court this week.
He has not got the money to pay for it so has come to me at the last moment for help.
Would an IVA be the solution, can he make an offer to the gym?
Any help would be grateful
Jane

Shining

Post by Shining » Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:51 pm
Hi Jane and welcome to the forum, an IVA would not be a solution if his only debt is £2800.

Hopefully one of our professionals will be along very soon to advise as I'm not sure but an arrangement directly with the gym might be possible. x
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:00 pm
Lesley is right, an IVA would not be a solution.

He could come to an arrangement with the gym to make lower payments.

The only other thing is a Debt Relief Order which would run for 12 months.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:03 pm
That is a large gym membership and unusual to be asked to be taken out over three years. Which health club chain is the debt with, and has your son taken any legal advice as to the enforceability of the alleged contract?
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:19 pm
I've had gym membership on and off for years and I've never been offered a contract of more than 18 months. It would definitely be worth having the contract checked.

Shining

Post by Shining » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:15 am
Two years is normal around here in one of the gyms, it obviously gives a lower monthly price, but I couldn't commit to that long.
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

Shining

Post by Shining » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:20 am
Having just googled this it makes interesting reading from one company who draws up the contracts and looks like many are in dispute including one person from my home town who joined a gym in my home town but doesn't say which one? x

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:07 am
That's interesting Lesley.

I was lucky when I joined my gym as I got 18 month pricing but only a 12 month contract as I knew the membership manager at the time. He's left now so I'm wondering if it'll go up when the year is up!

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:15 am
I would have thought as well that you should have a copy of the contract. If not, I'd be getting in touch with the company and demanding one.
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.

wannabedj

Post by wannabedj » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:55 am
This really does sound strange. I've been a member to whole load of gyms and as soon as you want to cancel it you can! Just means you can't go any more.
Do you know the name of the gym in question? And have you seen the actual letter or court documents?
If Football was meant to have been played in the air then God would have put Grass in the Sky

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:03 am
That's not always the case - the last few gyms I've joined have been on a year's contract.

wannabedj

Post by wannabedj » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:48 pm
I've recently signed up for fitness 1st and if I decide to cacel then they can wistle for the money as far as I'm concerned. If i'm not going to use it why should I have to pay for it!!!
It just doesn't sound right. I've never been able to last at a gym for a year so have always cancelled the D/D and not once have I ever been chased for the money owing!!
If Football was meant to have been played in the air then God would have put Grass in the Sky

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:26 pm
It sounds as though you have been lucky - in most cases you are signing a credit agreement and the gym is entitled to chase you for the money if you cancel the DD.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:53 pm
I was always under that impression as well.

Must admit that I would never sign up to a gym unless I was going to use it all the time. Only ever did a membership once, used it for the twelve months and that was it.
Bob Marley.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:58 pm
I don't go as often as I should, but I do feel better for it when I get there. I'm lucky as work pay half of mine.
20 posts Page 1 of 2
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”