Nervous about spending

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
  • 1
  • 2
18 posts Page 1 of 2
User avatar
dorothy245
Posts: 16
by dorothy245 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:44 am
i have been in an iva for 3 months and am worried when my review comes round, because if am withdrawing in cash any extra monies I have after my main direct debits have been paid. I get a monthly big shop from morrisons to deliver all the heavy items as I am unable to cary them, but I pay for everythin g else in cash, and put money in envelopes for expenses that occur yearly ie car insurance, repairs etc. will this be ok as all my expenditure is not shown on my statement.
User avatar
Foggy
Forum Expert
Posts: 27284
Contact
by Foggy » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:55 am
They do not scrutinize your spending to that degree --- I, and many others, lived by cash entirely (after the usual direct debits) for the first couple of years in my IVA!
User avatar
Lisa Thomas
Industry Expert
Posts: 7033
Contact
by Lisa Thomas » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:22 am
Just ensure you keep your receipts to show the expenditure in cash it is ever queried.
User avatar
dorothy245
Posts: 16
by dorothy245 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:14 pm
Lisa Thomas wrote:
Just ensure you keep your receipts to show the expenditure in cash it is ever queried.

hi lisa I have not been keeping my receipts as it is just everyday spending, i.e fresh food milk etc, petrol and hairdresser every month, are these the nes I should be keeping as I didn't think I would need to for such small amounts
User avatar
kallis3
Forum Expert
Posts: 73706
Contact
by kallis3 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:16 pm
I never kept any receipts for normal spending.
User avatar
dorothy245
Posts: 16
by dorothy245 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:21 pm
kallis3 wrote:
I never kept any receipts for normal spending.


I don't understand what I am expected to keep as I have only weekly spending,fresh groceries etc, I am really worried now as I have not been keeping any
User avatar
Foggy
Forum Expert
Posts: 27284
Contact
by Foggy » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:27 pm
Your grocery shopping has been agreed as a lump sum. You do not have to keep receipts for this unless it is outside the guidelines, same with petrol. Receipts are only needed to back up extra-ordinary spending on these things.
User avatar
dorothy245
Posts: 16
by dorothy245 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:02 pm
Foggy wrote:
Your grocery shopping has been agreed as a lump sum. You do not have to keep receipts for this unless it is outside the guidelines, same with petrol. Receipts are only needed to back up extra-ordinary spending on these things.

hi foggy, what would be classed as extra-ordinary spending, as I draw out the cash I have left each month for my spending I didn't think it would matter what I spent it on, because sometimes my hair costs more than I stated in my income and expenditure, but I have just been taking this out of my food money. thank you for your quick reply it is really appreciated
User avatar
Foggy
Forum Expert
Posts: 27284
Contact
by Foggy » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:16 pm
If you had, say, a gluten free diet (on medical advice), so shopping would be more than usual. Or your commute to work was further than an average journey, so needing more fuel usage. 99.9% of everyday stuff isn't examined once it has been agreed, unless it changes at review.
User avatar
kallis3
Forum Expert
Posts: 73706
Contact
by kallis3 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:23 pm
I never had any receipts for normal shopping - only ever had to produce one for a payment break when we had our boiler replaced.
User avatar
dorothy245
Posts: 16
by dorothy245 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:38 pm
kallis3 wrote:
I never had any receipts for normal shopping - only ever had to produce one for a payment break when we had our boiler replaced.

thank you so much I feel much better now
User avatar
dorothy245
Posts: 16
by dorothy245 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:39 pm
Foggy wrote:
If you had, say, a gluten free diet (on medical advice), so shopping would be more than usual. Or your commute to work was further than an average journey, so needing more fuel usage. 99.9% of everyday stuff isn't examined once it has been agreed, unless it changes at review.

thank you so much, I feel much better now. I have nothing to hide, but just want to keep myself right.
User avatar
kallis3
Forum Expert
Posts: 73706
Contact
by kallis3 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:04 pm
Don't worry - you have your budget and if you have anything left over - keep it for a rainy day in a jar!
User avatar
dorothy245
Posts: 16
by dorothy245 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:33 pm
kallis3 wrote:
Don't worry - you have your budget and if you have anything left over - keep it for a rainy day in a jar!

thank you so much for your advice
Gouldy
Posts: 10
by Gouldy » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:08 pm
This has made me feel better reading this too. There are a lot of myths around reviews. I’m still nervous for mine but after the first I don’t think I’ll worry anymore.
  • 1
  • 2
18 posts Page 1 of 2
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 24 guests