New to IVA and forum

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
69 posts Page 5 of 5

kitty14

Post by kitty14 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:41 pm
Update:

Happy with NatWest now everything is sorted.
Finally got my chair report back today and seeing it was 100% voted for is amazing.
I start my first payment of £90 in February (23.91p to the £) Here goes to the next 5-6 years 🥂 thank you so much everyone.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:06 pm
Great news Kitty - really pleased for you.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Foggy

Forum Expert

Post by Foggy » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:14 pm
Excellent --- now we are cooking on gas !
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014
http://foggy.blogs.iva.co.uk

kitty14

Post by kitty14 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:19 pm
Hello again,

I have some questions now this is up and running.

I initiated a gas and electric switch back in December it has now completed from EDF to British Gas for dual fuel. I shouldn’t run into any issues as this is direct debt. I mean it has set up fine.
I just don’t want any nasty surprises, so far I have encountered that my local council decided to write off my remaining council tax of £200 odd due to “bankruptcy” I was fine paying the monthly so quite annoyed that has happened.

Also does this mean I can no longer keep switching things like my gas and electric? And my phone bill? I pay direct debit for a sim only deal with o2 which I usually change when there’s better deals.

Thanks in advance I never really thought about all these minor things d’oh!

Foggy

Forum Expert

Post by Foggy » Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:31 pm
Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:19 pmkitty14 wrote:
Hello again,

I initiated a gas and electric switch back in December it has now completed from EDF to British Gas for dual fuel. I shouldn’t run into any issues as this is direct debt. I mean it has set up fine.
I just don’t want any nasty surprises, so far I have encountered that my local council decided to write off my remaining council tax of £200 odd due to “bankruptcy” I was fine paying the monthly so quite annoyed that has happened.

Also does this mean I can no longer keep switching things like my gas and electric? And my phone bill? I pay direct debit for a sim only deal with o2 which I usually change when there’s better deals.

Some councils write off as a matter of course ( mine does) as it is cheaper to do this than fiddle about with dividends. It is only in recent years that CT has been dragged in at all.

Account / utilities switching can be an issue if the new supplier credit checks and then fails to accept you. There is no real need to be doing this and, in theory, any savings you make will simply reduce your expenses and thereby increase your IVA payment -- so you get nothing for potentially rocking the boat. Best to let sleeping dogs lie.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.

kitty14

Post by kitty14 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:39 pm
Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:31 pmFoggy wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:19 pmkitty14 wrote:
Hello again,

Some councils write off as a matter of course ( mine does) as it is cheaper to do this than fiddle about with dividends. It is only in recent years that CT has been dragged in at all.

Account / utilities switching can be an issue if the new supplier credit checks and then fails to accept you. There is no real need to be doing this and, in theory, any savings you make will simply reduce your expenses and thereby increase your IVA payment -- so you get nothing for potentially rocking the boat. Best to let sleeping dogs lie.
Thanks, what will happen to the New Years council tax? Will it be apart of my Iva and I pay my say monthly payment of £78 to Stepchange instead?

Foggy

Forum Expert

Post by Foggy » Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:43 pm
CT for this financial year is what has been written off ---- the coming years bill is a new debt and will not be in the IVA --- you will have to pay that to the council normally and it will be allowed as an essential expense in your I&E

kitty14

Post by kitty14 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:48 pm
Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:43 pmFoggy wrote:
CT for this financial year is what has been written off ---- the coming years bill is a new debt and will not be in the IVA --- you will have to pay that to the council normally and it will be allowed as an essential expense in your I&E
Oh that’s good to hear another worry off my mind as I had no issues or arrears paying that.
Thank you I feel more at ease now.

Mrs_Brown

Post by Mrs_Brown » Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:43 am
My IVA was approved in November a couple of years ago. Same thing happened with my council tax. I paid a little bit more to Stepchange in Jan, as I didn't have my council tax to pay, then in February and March I didn't have to pay anything extra to them and was able to keep the extra cash. I was worried that the council wouldn't let me reinstate monthly payments but all went OK the next year.
69 posts Page 5 of 5
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”