Old debt still on some credit files

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
12 posts Page 1 of 1

martin957

Post by martin957 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:59 pm
Hi, I completed my IVA 5 years ago and received my CofC. I thought that my credit score would automatically build up and improve. That is the case with Experian I now have the highest score I can get with them. I recently put my house on the market and require a small mortgage. My cousin who is a mortgage broker is trying to sort a mortgage for me. He asked me to get a free credit check on checkmyfile as they use four credit reference agencies. On Equifax and Transunion it shows that I have an adverse account with Barclaycard? This was part of my IVA so I'm a little confused all my other creditors dropped off years ago. I rang Barclaycard and they said that because there is an outstanding amount of £3605 on the account they will keep reporting it as adverse. They said although they are no longer actively requesting the amount because its there they will report it every month until the balance is paid off. They won't even listen to the fact that they entered into an IVA agreement with me and the amount should of cleared at the completion of my IVA. They say that's their policy and there's nothing they can do. This adverse account is dragging my overall credit score down and stopping me getting a competitive mortgage. Is there anything I can do to get Barclaycard to put this right?

Foggy

Forum Expert

Post by Foggy » Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:22 pm
Have a read here: https://www.iva.co.uk/what-does-an-iva- ... dit-record

Barclays should have formally defaulted the account with a default date as the start of the IVA, in which case it drops off the records after 6 years from that start date. If they will not do it the ICO will intervene on your behalf.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014
http://foggy.blogs.iva.co.uk

martin957

Post by martin957 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:28 pm
Thanks Foggy.
Would I just have yo email the ICO as the guy I spoke to was adamant that it would keep being reported every month forever unless I paid off the balance that they say is on the account?

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:33 pm
Mine is still showing one of my old credit files but I have had no problems getting credit.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Foggy

Forum Expert

Post by Foggy » Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:46 pm
Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:28 pmmartin957 wrote:
Thanks Foggy.
Would I just have yo email the ICO as the guy I spoke to was adamant that it would keep being reported every month forever unless I paid off the balance that they say is on the account?
First send the letter mentioned in the article, by recorded delivery, to Barclays Data Controller, keeping a copy, as the ICO will want that to be sent first.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.

martin957

Post by martin957 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:59 pm
Brilliant. Thanks Foggy appreciate the responses. I will do that straight away.
Thanks again

martin957

Post by martin957 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:06 pm
Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:46 pmFoggy wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:28 pmmartin957 wrote:
Thanks Foggy.
First send the letter mentioned in the article, by recorded delivery, to Barclays Data Controller, keeping a copy, as the ICO will want that to be sent first.
Hi Foggy, I have sent the letter you suggested to Barclaycard. Obviously I will have to wait for the 28 days for them to respond unless they respond earlier. If they don't respond or don't agree to change the status what would be my next course of action?

Foggy

Forum Expert

Post by Foggy » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:24 am
Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:06 pmmartin957 wrote:
Hi Foggy, I have sent the letter you suggested to Barclaycard. Obviously I will have to wait for the 28 days for them to respond unless they respond earlier. If they don't respond or don't agree to change the status what would be my next course of action?
If no useful response the next step would be to refer the matter to the ICO who will have a word with them. Timescales could be a bit stretched with Covid issues at the moment and they were never short in the first place.

martin957

Post by martin957 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:05 am
Hi Foggy.
Sorry to be a pain the 28 days for Barclaycard to respond is nearly up (4 days left). I haven't had a written response nor has my credit file changed. I've had a quick look on the ICO web site but can't make top nor tail of how to put in a complaint about Barclaycard or voice concerns. Any idea how I go about it? Sorry if I'm being a bit thick but it's all the technical terms. Martin

Foggy

Forum Expert

Post by Foggy » Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:40 am
It isn't the easiest site to navigate !

Try here: https://ico.org.uk/global/contact-us/ You can try the phone number, live chat or that little hidden drop down at the bottom under 'What do you want to do?'

lifenoteasy

Post by lifenoteasy » Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:24 pm
Have you used this email address to contact them DPO@barclayscorp.com?

The ICO will not help until you have complained to the organisation.
IVA started March 2011, Completed March 2016 and certificate issued 11 days after final payment. It was not always easy but then some of the best decisions aren't.

martin957

Post by martin957 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:41 pm
Hi, yeah I sent a recorded delivery letter to the DPO at Barclaycard. I haven't emailed them though!
12 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”